TPIC6A595, power logic 8-bit shift register 350mA/50V switching capability Short-circuit protection SPI interface with additional pins 5V power supply
Expand 4 click carries the TPIC6A595, a chip that combines an 8-bit serial-in, parallel-out shift register with an 8-bit D-type storage register. It's intended for use as a port expander for connecting high-power peripherals. On the output side it has open-drain transistors with output ratings of 50V and 350mA. These are available through eight pins above the mikroBUS socket (D0-D7) with corresponding GND pins on the other side.
The outputs are open-drain transistor with continuous sink capability. For data input, Expand 4 click uses SPI. Additional pins include CLR IN (clear all input shift registers when held Low), EN IN (sets all drain outputs to OFF when held High), and CS (provides the impulse for shifting the data from the shift to the storage register).
This board is designed to use a 5V power supply only.
Note: The picture shows the board with through-hole headers. The board now comes populated with male pin headers already soldered for your convenience (the mikroBUS connection pins only). The board's user manual has yet to be updated to remove the soldering instructions.
mikroBUS Click Boards Overview Click boards plug directly into a mikroBUS socket. mikroBUS is a specially designed plug-and-play pinout standard. The sockets are found on Clicker boards, the Flip & Click Arduino/Python-compatible board, the Quail board, these mikromedia shields, the Microchip Curiosity board, and development systems from mikroElektronika (V7 systems and later).
You also can connect Click boards to many other popular platforms via these adapters:
- PC — Click USB Adapter (MIKROE-1433)
- Arduino — Arduino UNO click shield (MIKROE-1581) or Arduino Mega click shield (MIKROE-1900)
- Raspberry Pi — Pi click shield (MIKROE-1512) or Pi 2 click shield (MIKROE-1879)
- BeagleBone Black — BeagleBone click shield (MIKROE-1596) or mikroBUS Cape (MIKROE-1857)
- STM32F3 Discovery — STM32F3 Discovery Shield (MIKROE-1447)
- STM32F4 Discovery — STM32F4 Discovery Shield (MIKROE-1481)
- Stellaris LM4F120 LaunchPad / Tiva TM4C123G LaunchPad — Click BOOSTER PACK (MIKROE-1363)
- Freescale Freedom — FRDM-KL46Z click shield (MIKROE-1795) or FRDM-K64F click shield (MIKROE-1794)
In addition, it is royalty-free to add mikroBUS to your own designs. Visit the mikroBUS Category to see the full line of Click boards.
High-Power Port Expander Add-on Module Resources