The Roving Networks RN-171-XV-S (now known as the Microchip RN171XVS-I/RM) is able to be plugged into the XBee Shield or a Waspmote (see below) and is designed for those who want to migrate their existing 802.15.4 architecture to a standard TCP/IP-based platform without having to redesign existing hardware. In other words, a project that is designed for an XBee module can be switched over to a standard WiFi network simply by dropping this module into the same socket.
The RN-XV module incorporates an 802.11b/g radio, a 32-bit processor, a TCP/IP stack, real-time clock, crypto accelerator, power management unit and analog sensor interface. The module is pre-loaded with Roving firmware to simplify integration and minimize development time of your application. In the simplest configuration, the hardware only requires four connections (PWR, TX, RX and GND) to create a wireless data connection.
WiFly Module Features
- Based on common 802.15.4 XBee footprint
- Ultra low power: 4ľA sleep mode, 38mA active
- On-board TCP/IP stack includes DHCP, UDP, DNS, ARP, ICMP, HTTP client, FTP client and TCP
- Firmware-configurable transmit power: 0dBm to 12dBm
- Hardware interface: TTL UART
- Host data rate up to 464Kbps over UART
- Supports Adhoc and infrastructure networking
- 8 general-purpose digital I/O
- 3 analog sensor inputs
- Real-time clock for time-stamping, auto-sleep, and auto-wakeup modes
- Accepts 3.3V DC regulated power supply
- RP-SMA connector
- Configuration over UART or wireless interface (via Telnet) using simple ASCII commands
- Secure WiFi authentication: WEP, WPA-TKIP, WPA2-AES
Compatible with Waspmote A specific API has been developed to allow use of this module with a Waspmote sensor platform (this module plugs into Radio Socket 0 on your Waspmote main board, or into the Waspmote Expansion Board). This module is the same as Waspmote part number WIFI-SMA2 or WIFI-SMA5, only without an antenna included; you can purchase an antenna separately from the options below.
WiFly Module Resources
Optional Recommended Products for this Item