The FlexiForce A201-25 (also known as PS-02) is a pressure-sensitive resistive sensor. Resistance between the two ends of the terminals varies depending on the force exerted on the circular end of the sensor. The harder you press (up to 25 lbs), the lower the sensor's resistance. The change in resistance can be measured by a simple RC decay circuit, readable by a microcontroller. For lower weights, you can increase sensitivity by increasing the drive voltage or resistance of the feedback resistor.
The sensor itself is thin and flexible, but the resistance does not change while being flexed. Resistance changes only when pressure is applied to the round area at the end of the sensor.
Use this as a presence sensor (to detect someone standing), a weight sensor (to detect load in a container), a pressure sensor (impact testing), etc.
The overall length is 7.75 inches including the connection pins, which are reinforced and have a breadboard-friendly 0.1-inch spacing.
Force/Pressure Sensor Features
- Measurement range: 0 to 25 lbs (11.34 kg / 111 N)
- Resistance range: 5000 to 20 kΩ
- Length: 191 mm not counting leads; 197 mm counting leads
- Width: 14 mm
- Sensitive area: 9.53 mm diameter
- Linearity error: Less than ±3%
- Repeatability: Less than ±2.5% of full scale
- Hysteresis: Less than 4.5% of full scale
- Drift: Less than 5% per logarithmic time scale
- Operating temperature: -40 to +60 °C
- Response time: Less than 5 microseconds
- Minimum consumption: 0µA
A201-25 (PS-02) Documentation
Compatible with Waspmote This sensor can be used in a Waspmote wireless sensor platform by connecting it to the Waspmote Events Sensor Board. Note that it will not plug in directly; you will have to create a probe, e.g. alligator clips to jumper wires. Also note that the specs for this sensor shown in the Events Board datasheet are outdated; refer to the actual sensor's datasheet above.