The PS/2 click add-on board is a cost-effective solution for adding keyboard and mouse connectivity to your design. It features a standard 6-pin Mini-DIN PS/2 connector, a mikroBUS pinout, and a power indicator LED. The module communicates with your target board through mikroBUS RST (data) and CS (clock) pins. It's designed to use a 5V power supply only.
Although many consider PS/2 a legacy interface, there are advantageous reasons why you might want to use PS/2 keyboards instead of typical modern USB keyboards. For example, PS/2 supports full n-key rollover, meaning it can handle any number of simultaneous keystrokes, whereas USB keyboards typically only can handle two to six keys at a time. In addition, PS/2 keyboards address interrupts directly, whereas USB operates in a slower polling mode.
Use this board to connect older keyboards/mice or high-end "gaming" keyboards/mice to your system.
Note: The picture shows the board with through-hole headers. The board now comes populated with male pin headers already soldered for your convenience. The board's user manual has yet to be updated to remove the soldering instructions.
mikroBUS Click Boards Overview Click boards plug directly into a mikroBUS socket. mikroBUS is a specially designed plug-and-play pinout standard. The sockets are found on Clicker boards, the Flip & Click Arduino/Python-compatible board, the Quail board, these mikromedia shields, the Microchip Curiosity board, and development systems from mikroElektronika (V7 systems and later).
You also can connect Click boards to many other popular platforms via these adapters:
- PC — Click USB Adapter (MIKROE-1433)
- Arduino — Arduino UNO click shield (MIKROE-1581) or Arduino Mega click shield (MIKROE-1900)
- Raspberry Pi — Pi click shield (MIKROE-1512) or Pi 2 click shield (MIKROE-1879)
- BeagleBone Black — BeagleBone click shield (MIKROE-1596) or mikroBUS Cape (MIKROE-1857)
- STM32F3 Discovery — STM32F3 Discovery Shield (MIKROE-1447)
- STM32F4 Discovery — STM32F4 Discovery Shield (MIKROE-1481)
- Stellaris LM4F120 LaunchPad / Tiva TM4C123G LaunchPad — Click BOOSTER PACK (MIKROE-1363)
- Freescale Freedom — FRDM-KL46Z click shield (MIKROE-1795) or FRDM-K64F click shield (MIKROE-1794)
In addition, it is royalty-free to add mikroBUS to your own designs. Visit the mikroBUS Category to see the full line of Click boards.
PS/2 Interface Add-on Module Resources