Compact Board for Microchip PIC microcontrollers in 44-pin PLCC package. It features one male Sub-D connector with RS232 transceiver. The 5-pin Phoenix terminal block can be used to connect either a RS485 or CAN interface. In addition the board has four 8-pin DIL sockets to expand the board's capabilities with optional chips for I2C EEPROM, real time clock (RTC), RS485 or CAN bus drivers (you can use either the RS485 transceiver or the CAN interface -- not both in parallel). Also included is a socket for an MCP23008 8-bit I/O port expander. The board ships completely assembled and tested.
The picture to the right shows the board with a PIC microcontroller installed, but one is not included. We have two available to purchase separately; see below.
Note: To use the board's CAN function you must install an optional MCP2551 CAN bus interface chip
44-pin PLCC PIC Board Features
- Daughter Board connector and Compact Daughter Board connector for expansion capability.
- 20 MHz (PIC) and 32 kHz (RTC chip) Crystals
- 2.1mm power connector for standard DC transformer.
- Wide operating voltage range from 7 – 30V.
- Assembled with RS232 interface chip with +/- 15kV ESD protection.
- Power LED to indicate when device is powered.
- In-Circuit Serial Programming (ICSP) Connector
- Two-pin connector (2 pin 2.54mm) for external battery for the RTC.
- Socket for optional I2C Serial EEPROM. (e.g. 24LC256, 24LC512)
- Socket for optional RS485 interface chip (e.g., SP485, MAX485, DS485N)
- Socket for optional Microchip MCP2551 CAN bus interface chip
- Socket for optional I2C bus RTC chip (e.g., Dallas DS1307)
- Socket for optional 18-pin MCP23008 8-bit I/O port expander
- 6-pin Micro-MaTch socket with Power, I2C and SPI signals.
- Sub-D male 9 pin connector with GND and RS232 signals.
- PIC's UART can be routed to either the RS232 or RS485 transceiver via solder straps. If H/W UART is used for RS232, RS485 can be connected to standard I/O pins with UART function implemented in software)
- 5-pin 3.81mm terminal block connector with RS485 or CAN BUS signals (requires optional interface driver chips), ground and external power. Spare connectors are available. The power pins on the 5-pin terminal block connector can be connected to the boards unregulated power supply (the input of the 2.1mm power connector) via straps. This can be used to:
- Provide power for all other boards daisy chained to this one. For this to work, this board must be powered via its 2.1mm power connector.
- Obtain power for this board. In this case, no power has to be supplied via the 2.1mm power connector.
Supported PIC Microcontrollers The board has been optimized for use with 44-pin PIC microcontrollers that have an integrated UART and I2C interface, for example:
Note: To use the board's CAN function you must install a PIC microcontroller that has an on-chip CAN peripheral, like the PIC18F448 or PIC18F458.
However, it can also be used with most other 44-pin PLCC PIC chips, as long as their power, reset (MCLR) and oscillator pin locations are in the same position as with the chips listed above. If a 44-pin PIC without hardware UART is used, the UART function can be implemented optionally in software.
Optional Add-On Daughter Boards This PIC board can be expanded with the following optional add-on boards:
Compact Daughter Board: Small Prototyping Area (PT01TC-ASM)
Compact Daughter Board: 4-digit, 7-segment LED Display with 4 Buttons (DEV7TC)
Daughter Board: 16x2 LCD with Buzzer, Buttons, LEDs (DEV16T)
Daughter Board: Large Prototyping Area (PT01T-ASM)
The Micro-MaTch connector allows you to use this board to drive one of the LCD2S- Serial LCD displays found in our LCD Displays category. Multiple I2C devices can be daisy-chained together using the Micro-MaTch connector.
Optional In-Circuit Serial Programming (ICSP) Adapters
PIC ICSP Board Connector to DIL Adapter Set, In-Circuit Programming Adapter Set for connecting this PIC board's ICSP connector to out-of-circuit PIC chip programmers with a DIP/ZIF socket.
PIC ICSP Adapter, 6-pin Single Row to RJ12 and 2mm 2x4 Header, In-Circuit Programming Adapter for connecting this PIC board's ICSP connector to the debuggers programmers with RJ12 jack or single row square post headers.
Documentation and Software This PIC board does not ship with any documentation or software. Please download the documentation from the link below.
Download PIC Board manual (PDF file, 433kB)
Ships from: USA
Leadtime: in stock
Optional Recommended Products for this Item
|PIC16F877A-I/L Microcontroller, 44 PLCC, 20MHz||+|| US$3.00|
|PIC18F458-I/L Microcontroller, 44 PLCC, 40 MHz, CAN, 32k Flash||+|| US$3.00|
|24LC256-I/P Serial EEPROM, 8 DIP, 32k||+|| US$0.50|
|DS485N RS422/485 Transceiver, 8 DIP||+|| US$0.35|
|MCP2551-I/P CAN Transceiver, 8 DIP||+|| US$2.50|
|DS1307+ Real-Time Clock, 8 DIP||+|| US$2.00|
|PIC ICSP Adapter, 6-pin Single Row to RJ12 and 2mm 2x4 Header||+|| US$9.50|
|Power Supply 3-12V DC, U.S. plug, 6 connection tips||+|| US$10.00|
|Power Supply 3-12V DC, US/UK/Euro/AU Plugs, 100-240VAC||+|| US$10.90|
|Compact Daughter Board: 4-digit LED Display for PIC Boards||+|| US$15.00|
|Serial Null Modem Cable, 6ft., DB9 F/F||+|| US$7.00|