Compact Board for 28-pin Microchip PIC microcontrollers. It features an RS485 transceiver and a socket for an optional CAN transceiver. The board ships completely assembled and tested. Note: The image to the right shows a PIC microcontroller installed, but this board does not ship with one. You will find links below to PIC microcontrollers that can be used with this board.
PIC RS485 & CAN Board Features
- Compact Daughter Board connector and a Frontend connector for expansion capability. (The image to the right shows a version of the board without Frontend connector installed.)
- 28-pin DIP socket (PIC microcontroller not included)
Note: To use the board's CAN function you must install a PICmicro that has an on-chip CAN peripheral, like the PIC18F248 or PIC18F258.
- 18.432 MHz Crystal
- 2.1mm power connector for standard DC transformer.
- Wide operating voltage range from 7 – 30V DC.
- RS485 transceiver chip with +/- 15kV ESD protection.
- Socket for optional CAN transceiver (such as Microchip MCP2551-I/P).
- Power LED to indicate when device is powered.
- 6-pin Micro-MaTch socket with Power, I2C and SPI signals.
- In-Circuit Serial Programming (ICSP) Connector
- 3-pin single line Molex connector with RS485 TX, RS485 RX and GND pins. An optional 6-foot cable with 9-pin Sub-D to 3-pin Molex plug is available (see options below).
- 5-pin 3.81mm terminal block (Phoenix) with RS485 (when CAN interface chip is removed) or CAN BUS signals, ground and external power. Matching screw terminal connector included. Spare connectors are available.
- The power pin on the 5-pin terminal block connector can be connected to the board's unregulated power supply (the input of the 2.1mm power connector) via a strap. This can be used to:
- Provide power for all other boards daisy chained to this one. For that to work, this board must be powered via its 2.1mm power connector.
- Obtain power for this board. In this case, no power has to be supplied via the 2.1mm power connector.
Supported PIC Microcontrollers
The board has been optimized for use with 28-pin PIC microcontrollers that have an integrated UART interface:
- PIC18F242, PIC18F252, PIC18F248, PIC18F258
- PIC18F2320, PIC18F2410, PIC18F2680 (CAN), PIC18F2550 (USB)
- PIC16F870, PIC16F873(A), PIC16F876(A)
- PIC16C63, PIC16C66, PIC16C73(A), PIC16F73, PIC16C76, PIC16F76
However, it can also be used with most other 28-pin DIP PIC chips, as long as their power, reset (MCLR) and oscillator pin locations are in the same position as on the chips listed above. If a 28-pin PIC without hardware UART is used, the UART function optionally can be implemented in software.
Build an Enclosed System Using the Compact Daughterboard connector, this RS485 and CAN board can be used as a control module for the Input-Output-Relay Board, which comes in a sturdy enclosure.
You also can make a fully enclosed system by connecting this board to the Add-on Prototyping Board with 10 I/O Ports or the Add-on Prototyping Board with 24 I/O Ports, each of which also comes in an enclosure.
Optional Daughterboards This board features connectors for either attaching a daughterboard, or using this board as a daughterboard on a larger add-on board. The Micro-MaTch connector allows you to use this board to drive one of the LCD2S- Serial LCD displays. Multiple I2C devices can be daisy-chained together using the Micro-MaTch connector.
Optional In-Circuit Serial Programming Adapters
PIC ICSP Board Connector to DIL Adapter Set, In-Circuit Programming Adapter Set for connecting this PIC board's ICSP connector to out-of-circuit PIC chip programmers with a DIP/ZIF socket.
PIC ICSP Adapter, 6-pin Single Row to RJ12 and 2mm 2x4 Header, In-Circuit Programming Adapter for connecting this PIC board's ICSP connector to the debuggers programmers with RJ12 jack or single row square post headers.
Optional RS485 cable An optional 6-foot RS485 Cable is available. This cable has a 9-pin Sub-D female connector on one side and a 3-pin Molex plug on the other. The cable can be directly connected to the 3-pin Molex connector on the PIC board. Please select the Serial Cable option below if you would like to buy this cable with your PIC board.
Documentation and Software This PIC board does not ship with any documentation or software. Please download the documentation from the link below.
Download PIC Board manual (PDF file, 581kB)
Ships from: USA
Leadtime: 1 week
Optional Recommended Products for this Item
|PIC16F876A-I/SP Microcontroller, 28 DIP, 20 MHz||+|| US$5.69|
|MCP2551-I/P CAN Transceiver, 8 DIP||+|| US$2.50|
|PIC ICSP Adapter, 6-pin Single Row to RJ12 and 2mm 2x4 Header||+|| US$9.50|
|Power Supply 3-12V DC, U.S. plug, 6 connection tips||+|| US$10.00|
|Power Supply 3-12V DC, US/UK/Euro/AU Plugs, 100-240VAC||+|| US$10.90|
|Add-on: Prototype Board, 24-pin I/O, LEDs||+|| US$22.60|
|Compact Daughter Board: 4-digit LED Display for PIC Boards||+|| US$15.00|
|Compact Daughter Board: Input/Output/Relay for PIC Boards||+|| US$15.95|
|Front-End: 4x In, 2x Relay for PIC Boards||+|| US$14.95|
|Front-End: 2x In, 2x Out, 2x Relay for PIC Boards||+|| US$18.00|
|Serial Cable for PIC SBC Boards||+|| US$6.00|