Have you ever wanted an LED that can fade from deep red to bright purple? Flash like a police light? "Breathe" softly? Glow like a firefly? Turn on with the subtle fade of an incandescent bulb? Flicker like a candle? That's BlinkM, a smart LED that lets you do all of that without having to know any electronics engineering or programming.
The BlinkM is an ultra-bright wide-angle RGB LED attached to a microcontroller with on-board memory and the software that makes creating arbitrary light colors and smooth color patterns very easy. The free, open-source BlinkM Sequencer software, which runs on most operating systems, makes it easy to select any RGB color or pattern and instantly upload it to BlinkM.
Once programmed, the BlinkM can be detached from its programming interface and work standalone. It will then glow the programmed color or play the programmed pattern whenever 5V is applied, just like a regular LED, but with much more flexibility. It can be reprogrammed thousands of times, or stay tethered and be controlled using simple software commands, changing colors in real time.
BlinkM Programmable RGB LED Features
- No programming experience needed (when used with LinkM or FreeM)
- No electronics experience required
- Can plug directly into LinkM USB Programming Adapter or an Arduino — no wiring or other components needed
- Can be used with ThingM Sequencer software for Arduino or Multitrack Sequencer for LinkM
- Software runs on Windows XP/7, Linux, Mac OS X 10.3.9; uses Java 1.5 or later
- Full-color RGB LED with 24-bit color control
- Specify colors using 24-bit RGB or HSB
- Fade between colors with variable timing and fade speeds
- Randomized color selection, with ranges and based on previous color
- 18 built-in light scripts (sequences)
- Create and save light scripts of up to 49 commands long
- Stand-alone operation: No microcontroller needed for light script playback
- Up to 127 BlinkM channels on a single two-wire network
- Low power consumption
- Controllable with any microcontroller (BASIC Stamp, MAKE Controller, etc.)
- Reconfigurable network address
- 8000 mcd (millicandelas) of light intensity
- 140-degree viewing angle
- 3.6V to 5V operating voltage, 60mA max.
- Dimensions: 0.61" wide, 0.61" long, 0.42" high (without header pins)
- Weight: 1g
- Fade duration: 1/30th of a second to 8.5 seconds
- Two-wire (I2C) control
- 5V standard TTL inputs
- 4-pin 0.1" spacing BlinkM I2C connector
BlinkM Programmable RGB LED Resources