MOD-RFID1356-BOX is an RFID station able to interact with ISO15693-compliant VICC transponders. All the complexity of RFID tag detection, verification and decoding are handled by MOD-RFID1356-BOX. Custom command requests can be initiated to facilitate VICC EEPROM read and write operations.
MOD-RFID1356-BOX supports three distinct modes of operation, easily switched by a single button press:
USB HID Mode: When the device is connected via USB to a host PC, it will represent itself as a USB HID keyboard. When an RFID transponder is detected in the vicinity, the module will type the hex representation of the transponder ID. Thus the ID can be read by any application that accepts keyboard input, e.g. Notepad.
USB CDC Mode: In this mode, the device represents itself as a USB CDC virtual serial port. It provides a simple shell-like command-line interface for configuring and interacting with the module. The device echoes back the typed characters and waits for a Carriage Return (Enter) before processing the line input. Any terminal software, e.g. HyperTerminal, can be used to open the COM port (assigned by the OS) and to type in commands.
UART Mode: In this mode, there is no need for a USB connection. Instead, the device must be connected via UEXT connector to a TTL-level UART of a microcontroller system of choice. Many Olimex boards have a UEXT header to which this module can be connected; see below. The communication otherwise is the same as in USB CDC Mode. Note that in this mode, a 6-9V DC power supply is required.
13.56 MHz RFID Tag Reader Features
The device ships configured in USB HID mode with continuous read, scan always, LEDs activated. These parameters can be configured via the command-line interface in USB CDC or UART mode.
- Supports ISO15693-compliant VICC transponders, e.g. EM4034
- Base RFID frequency 13.56MHz
- USB port connection to PC
- Three modes of operation, changed by pressing a button: USB HID keyboard or USB CDC serial port emulation, and UART mode via UEXT
- Simple command-line interface in USB CDC and UART modes for configuration, data acquisition and initiation of custom command requests
- Two LEDs indicating device status, mode, and tag presence; LEDs can be deactivated to save power
- Support for continuous and configurable periodic RF scanning to better suit your power requirements
- Dimensions: 100 × 50 × 10 mm (3.9 × 1.96 × 4.0")
UEXT Connector The UART mode of the MOD-RFID1356-BOX is facilitated through a 2×5-pin UEXT connector, which provides a way to connect the RFID module to a microcontroller system. There are dozens of microcontroller systems and development boards that can connect to this module via UEXT using the supplied cable. Click on the architectures below for lists of compatible boards:
13.56 MHz RFID Tag Reader Resources
Optional Recommended Products for this Item