The keyfob mini-programmer is a very small, portable, battery-powered programmer that can be used without error by unskilled users.
Once a keyfob mini-programmer is loaded with a program file, EEPROM data file and/or device type and configuration information, it is ready for use. The stored information is transferred with the press of a button to the target device.
As all this information is stored in non-volatile memory, the keyfob mini-programmer can be stored for long periods and used to program microcontrollers in system continuously.
Each keyfob mini-programmer is loaded from a PC using this keyfob mini-programmer starter kit. You only need one starter kit for as many keyfob mini-programmers as you require. Extra mini-programmers are available separately as individual units or in packs of five (tip: the 5-pack is cheaper than four individuals). If you need to purchase this starter kit with extra programmers, consider the AVR Keyfob Mini-Programmer Field Service Pack.
If you want to change the programs or settings you are using, just plug the keyfob mini-programmer back into the starter kit and load it with the new code and device information. This can be done hundreds of times.
Designing the Keyfob Mini-Programmer Into Your Product
To use a keyfob mini-programmer to configure your product in the field or on the production line, you just need to add an industry-standard 10-pin IDC box ISP header to your circuit.
64k Atmel AVR Keyfob Starter Kit This Starter Kit for Atmel AVR microcontrollers with up to 64kBytes program memory contains all you need to get going with this unique programmer:
- Simple Wizard-based software (Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7, 32/64-bit) for loading the Keyfob Mini-programmer with program/EEPROM code and lockbit settings
- PC Interface (USB Port), with 1 metre cable and programming connector
- 1 Keyfob Mini-Programmer, 45 × 35 × 15 mm, 28g
- Spare 12V battery
Keyfob AVR Programmer Features
- Upgrade firmware in the field without an engineering visit
- No need for on-location access to a PC
- Reduces user error virtually to zero
- No expensive programming hardware needed at each location
- Address upgrade or customization problems before they happen, without lots of extra components, design hassles or layout problems
- Simple plug-and-press operation
- Keyfob size: 45 × 35 × 15 mm; 1.8 × 1.4 × 0.5 inches
- Keyfob weight: 28 grams; 1 ounce
Device Support Note: This programmer can store 64KB of code maximum. Some of the supported devices listed below have 128KB of Flash. This programmer supports them, but only if your code is no larger than 64KB in size. At the bottom of this page, there is a link to a 256K Hand-Held programmer that fully supports the 128KB devices, as well as larger devices.
All L, P, PA, V, and A variants are supported.
- AT90S1200, AT90S2313, AT90S2323, AT990S2333, AT90S2343
- AT90S4414, AT90S4433, AT90S8515, AT90S8535, ATmega103
- AT90CAN128, AT90CAN32, AT90CAN64
- AT90USB1286, AT90USB646
- ATmega128, ATmega1280, ATmega1281, ATmega128RFA1
- ATmega16, ATmega161, ATmega162, ATmega163, ATmega165, ATmega168, ATmega169
- ATmega16M1, ATmega16U2, ATmega16U4
- ATmega32, ATmega323, ATmega324, ATmega325, ATmega3250, ATmega328, ATmega329
- ATmega3290, ATmega32C1, ATmega32M1, ATmega32U2, ATmega32U4, ATmega32U6
- ATmega48, ATmega64, ATmega640, ATmega644, ATmega645, ATmega6450, ATmega649
- ATmega6490, ATmega64C1, ATmega64M1
- ATmega8, ATmega8515, ATmega8535, ATmega88, ATmega8U2
- ATtiny13, ATtiny15, ATtiny1634, ATtiny167
- ATtiny2313, ATtiny24, ATtiny25, ATtiny26, ATtiny261
- ATtiny4313, ATtiny43U, ATtiny44, ATtiny45, ATtiny461, ATtiny48
- ATtiny84, ATtiny85, ATtiny861, ATtiny87, ATtiny88
Not supported: ATmega2560, ATmega2561. For support of these and full support of the 128K devices, use the 256K Hand-Held AVR Programmer Starter Kit instead.