MOD-MP3-X is an MP3 player module using the VLSI VS1053 Ogg Vorbis/MP3/AAC/-WMA/MIDI audio decoder and an IMA ADPCM and user-loadable Ogg Vorbis encoder. It supports VBR (variable bit rate) for MP3 and supports streaming. It also employs an on-board STM32F103RBT6 ARM Cortex-M3 microcontroller for smart control via its UEXT connector.
This module has three modes of operation:
- Standalone mode — In this mode, the VS1053 controls the playback of files written on a microSD card inserted in the board. You are provided with controls for volume, sound effects, starting, stopping and sequencing of files to play.
- UEXT playback mode — In this mode, the board can be connected as a slave device to a host microcontroller which streams data to the codec via SPI.
- UEXT smart control mode — In this mode, the on-board microcontroller manages playback of files written to the microSD card. The microcontroller comes pre-programmed to act as a slave device and accept user commands via UART. Commands include SD card directory listing, selecting of a file to play, and playback and volume control.
The board has both a barrel connector and screw terminals for connecting a power source. You can order a version of this board with a 3.7V 1200mAh lithium-ion battery.
VS1053 Decoder/Encoder Board Features
- VS1053 hardware audio decoder/encoder
- STM32F103RBT6 microcontroller
- Accepts commands for play/stop/forward/reverse through RS232, allowing you to add voice/music to your microcontroller project
- UEXT to connect to host microcontroller (see below)
- Can work as stand-alone MP3 player
- Can be used also as USB mass storage device
- microSD card slot on board (card not included)
- Stereo audio microphone jack and stereo audio headphones jack
- Can be used to record as well as play back
- EEPROM with firmware for standalone mode
- Triple-action lever switch: Forward, Reverse, Play/Pause action
- Wake-up button
- Two status LEDs
- PCB: FR-4, 1.5 mm (0.062"), soldermask, silkscreen component print
- Dimensions: 60 × 60 mm (2.36 × 2.36")
UEXT Connector The UEXT connector provides a solderless way to connect this MP3 module to a system with a microcontroller. There are dozens of microcontroller systems and development boards that can connect to this module via UEXT using the supplied cable. Click on the architectures below for lists of compatible boards:
VS1053 Decoder/Encoder Board Resources
Optional Recommended Products for this Item