The MOD-GPS connects to a microcontroller board via a 2x5-pin UEXT connector (such as found on many Olimex boards; see below). The SiRF Star III GPS chipset is superior to others in its ability to track satellites even when indoors, while consuming only 38mA.
The module is sealed in a waterproof casing and has a magnet so that it can be stuck to metal surfaces.
SiRF Star III GPS Module Features
- Built-in SiRF Star III chipset
- 200,000 effective correlators for fast TTFF
- 20 channels “All-In-View” tracking
- Cold/Warm/Hot start time: 42/38/1 sec. (average)
- Re-acquisition time: 0.1 sec.
- Superior sensitivity: -159dBm tracking
- Ultra-low power design (38mA typical)
- Frequency L1, 1575.42MHz
- C/A Code 1.023MHz chip rate
- Power DC 3.3 ~ 6V, typically 5V
- Internal Back-up battery 3.0V, 5.5mAh, Lithium battery
- Back-up Current 7µA typical
- Update Rate 1 Hz (max.)
- Accuracy Position 5 - 25m CEP without SA
- Velocity 0.1m/sec, without SA
- Time 1µs synchronized to GPS time
- Altitude <18,000m (60,000 feet)
- Velocity <515m/sec (1,000 knots)
- Acceleration <4G
- Motional Jerk 20m/sec max.
- GPS Protocol NMEA0183
- Interface RS232 CMOS, 19200 bps, 8N1
- Built-in low-noise, high-gain active antenna
- UEXT connector (see below)
- Super-cohesive magnetic for installation
- Operating Temperature -40 °C ~ +85 °C
- Storage Temperature -55 °C ~ +85 °C
- Relative Humidity 5% to 90% non-condensing
- Size: 47.0 (L) x 39.0 (W) x 16 (H) mm
- Weight: 66.6g
UEXT Connector The UEXT connector is used to connect this GPS receiver to a system with a microcontroller. There are dozens of microcontroller systems and development boards that can connect to this module via UEXT using the supplied cable. Click on the architectures below for lists of compatible boards:
This module does not ship with any documentation or software. Download the user manual.