The VDIP2 is supplied on a PCB designed to fit into a 40-pin DIP socket, and provides access to the UART, parallel FIFO, and SPI interface pins on the FTDI VNC1L microcontroller via its AD and AC bus pins. All other Vinculum I/O pins are also accessible.
Ideal for rapid prototyping and development of VNC1L designs, an attractive quantity discount structure also makes this module suitable for incorporation into low/medium-volume finished product designs.
Vinculum DIP Module Features
- Two vertically mounted USB "A" type sockets to interface with USB peripheral devices
- Uses FTDI's VNC1L device
- Jumper selectable UART, parallel FIFO or SPI MCU interfaces
- Single 5V supply input
- Auxiliary 3.3V/200mA power output to external logic
- Power and traffic indicator LEDs
- Program or update firmware via USB Flash disk or or via UART interface
- VNC1L firmware programming control pins PROG# and RESET# brought out onto jumper interface
- VDIP2 is a Pb-free, RoHS-compliant development module
- VDIP2 module is supplied pre-loaded with Vinculum VDAP firmware
Vinculum USB Host Microcontroller
The VNC1L microcontroller used on this board is part of the FTDI Vinculum USB Host Microcontroller Series. The VNC1L chip features an integrated 8/32-bit MCU and 64k embedded Flash memory. Not only does the chip handle data transfer functions on two USB Host/Client interfaces; it encapsulates several USB device classes as well. You don't have to worry about writing firmware to implement those functions.
When interfacing to mass storage devices such as USB Flash drives, the VNC1L transparently handles the FAT file structure communicating via UART, SPI or parallel FIFO interfaces via a simple-to-implement command set. The VNC1L device features two USB ports which can be individually configured by firmware as Host or Slave (client) ports.
VNC1L brings cost-effective USB Host capability to products that previously did not have the hardware resources available. As VNC1L comes complete with FTDI's in-house developed firmware, there are no USB software stacks to license, and no knowledge of USB is required to use these devices.
Key VNC1L features include:
- 8/32 bit V-MCU Core
- Dual DMA controllers for hardware acceleration
- 64k Embedded Flash Program Memory
- 4k internal Data SRAM
- 2x USB 2.0 Slow/Full speed Host/Slave Ports
- UART, SPI and Parallel FIFO interfaces
- PS2 legacy Keyboard and Mouse Interfaces
- Up to 28 GPIO pins depending on configuration
- 3.3V operation with 5V safe inputs
- Low power operation (25mA running/2mA standby)
- FTDI firmware easily updated in the field
- LQFP-48 RoHS-compliant package
- Multi-processor configuration capable
Downloads VDIP2 Datasheet
Optional Recommended Products for this Item