The EM120 is an Ethernet Module for on-board installation. Module hardware includes one 10BaseT Ethernet port (standard Ethernet magnetics are NOT integrated into the Module), one serial port (CMOS-level) with a number of additional general-purpose I/O lines, and an internal processor, whose firmware acts as a bridge between the Ethernet and serial ports. The Ethernet "side" of the Module connects directly to a standard Ethernet magnetics circuit (such as YCL-20F001N) or RJ45 connector with integrated magnetics. The Serial "side" connects directly to the serial port pins of most microcontrollers, microprocessors, UARTs, etc.
From the hardware standpoint, the EM120 can be viewed as a universal platform suitable for running a variety of network and serial communications-related applications. It is the application firmware, not hardware, that gives the EM120 most of its functionality.
Ethernet Module Hardware Features
- Compact; dimensions only 35 x 27.5 x 9.1 mm
- Low power consumption of 50mA @ 5V DC
- Fully sealed design
- One 10BaseT Ethernet port; magnetics not built in
- One serial (TTL) port (TX, RX, RTS, CTS, DTR, DSR)
- 5 additional I/O lines
- Four LED lines provide module status information
- Internal firmware is upgradeable through the serial port or network
- EM120 Starter Kit available
- CE- and FCC-approved
Ethernet Module Firmware Features
- Serial (TTL) port supports full- or half-duplex operation; baud rates of up to 115200bps; 5 parity modes (none, even, odd, mark, space); 7 or 8 data bits; optional RTS/CTS flow control
- Two extended 8 kByte routing buffers
- On-board EEPROM stores numerous user-definable functioning parameters
- Supported network protocols include UDP, TCP, ARP, ICMP (PING) and DHCP
- Module setup can be performed through the serial port or network (over-the-network IP-address configuration is also supported). Network setup can be performed using UDP commands or Telnet TCP connection
- Specialized "on-the-fly" commands for serial port control, "modem" commands to control network connections, status commands for remote status monitoring, etc.
- Works with Tibbo Device Server Toolkit (DST) for Windows, including Virtual Serial Port Driver (VSPD) (COM redirector)
- Linux version of the VSPD is also available
Full-duplex mode is suitable for RS232 and RS422 comms.; half-duplex mode for RS485 comms. RS232/422/485 transceivers are not built in.
Optional Recommended Products for this Item