The SiLabs Development Suite is a version of the Crossware 8051 Development Suite specifically tailored to the microcontrollers from Silicon Laboratories. It offers exceptional value to those who wish to develop programs only for the 8051 variants from Silicon Laboratories.
SiLabs Development Suite Features
- An advanced optimizing ANSI C compiler and libraries
- Code creation wizards to create configuration code, outline interrupt handlers for on-chip peripherals and peripheral specific application code
- A source-level simulator to simulate the 8051 core and the on-chip peripherals allowing debugging without hardware
- An interface that allows the simulator to be extended, facilitating complete target system simulation
- A source-level debugger to allow debugging on the target hardware
- A multi-threaded, multi-target integrated development environment in which to write, edit and debug code, browse high-level source code, access electronic copies of the manuals and much more
C Compiler The compiler is an optimizing ANSI C compiler with extensions for embedded development.
- 8051-specific extensions give you access to all of the resources of the 8051 and its variants from C
- Smart pointers can work out for themselves which memory area they are pointing to. This avoids inefficient 3-byte pointers with ANSI C compatible code
- Generates fast in-line code with a minimum of library calls for high-speed performance. Optional code compression for when code size is an issue
- Full type checking across modules traps programming errors and ensures that your C variables, function arguments, structure members, etc. are consistent across your source files and with the appropriate libraries
- Pre-written library routines including high-speed 32-bit and 64-bit floating point arithmetic
- Register bank independent code
- Easy-to-use C interrupt support with optional register bank switching
- Comprehensive source-level debug output
- Data output for Embedded Development Studio source code browser
Code Creation Wizards The Code Creation Wizards simplify and accelerate the creation of C source code for the on-chip peripherals of a SiLabs variant.
The Wizards are able to create configuration code to configure the peripheral; application code to operate the peripheral; code to configure the interrupt controller for the peripheral; and outline interrupt handlers for the peripheral.
The Wizards take two forms:
Context Wizards are provided for all on-chip peripherals.
- GUI Wizards which present a point-and-click graphical interface
- Context Wizards which present a point-and-click interface to a list of named registers and named bits
Simulator/Debugger The simulator creates a virtual 8051 chip that runs on your PC. It allows 8051 programs to be run without any hardware.
The debugger downloads and runs your program on a SiLabs target board.
The simulator and debugger share a common user interface.
Both the simulator and debugger provide:
The simulator provides:
- Source- and assembly-level debugging
- Multiple memory views and watch windows
- Multiple register views with register tooltips
- Disassembly view
- Complex hierarchical source-level drag-and-drop breakpoints
- Machine-level breakpoints
- Call stack view
- Variable tooltips
- Multiple application debugging
The debugger provides:
- Simulation of the 8051 instruction set
- Simulation of on-chip peripherals
- Interface to allow the simulator to be extended
- State capture
- Source code profiling
- Code and data coverage
- Multiple cycle counters
- Downloading into on-chip flash memory
- Hardware breakpoints in flash memory
- Hardware data watchpoints
Debugger Interface The debugger requires a C2 or JTAG connection to the target board. The SiLabs EC1, EC2 serial port interfaces and the SiLabs USB interfaces are all supported.
Embedded Development Studio IDE The Embedded Development Studio is the integrated development environment application at the heart of the SiLabs Development Suite.
It links together the simulator, debugger, code creation wizards and extension DLLs, and also drives the compiler tool chain. (Note that the compiler tool chain can also be driven from the command line.)
The Embedded Development Studio also provides other facilities, including:
- Creates new projects with an initial set of default files
- Allows the organization of multiple projects into workspaces
- Context-colored editing of compiler and assembler source code
- Context-colored views of compiler/assembler listings
- Drag-and-drop linker scripting
- Scans the project source code to generate dependency information
- Uses the browse records generated by the compiler to accelerate source code navigation
- Text file searching
- Find and Find and Replace in source views
- Provides access to the electronic manuals, including full search capability
- Automatic generation of a build script which can be used to build your project from the command line or from within another application
- Integrated terminal emulator facilities
- Customisable commands allowing the launch of other executables
- Generation of GUIDs
- Conversion of bitmaps to C structures
- Supports multiple Crossware suites and tool chains, and third-party tool chains
SiLabs Development Suite Contents
- 8051 C Compiler and libraries
- 8051 Relocatable macro cross assembler
- Banking linker, library manager, command-line make utility
- 8051 instruction set simulator
- Peripheral simulation for SiLabs variants
- Code Creation Wizards for SiLabs variants
- Source-level debugger that works with the SiLabs debugger interfaces
- Embedded Development Studio IDE
- USB license key
- Manuals in electronic and printed form
- 12 months support and updates
System Requirements The Silicon Laboratories Development Suite runs on Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Vista.