8-channel programmable I/O expander One-Wire Interface; 15.3 kbps or 100 kbps Additional three pins to connect multiple units to the same data line 3.3V or 5V power supply
Expand 3 click carries the DS2408, an 8-channel programmable I/O expander with a 1-Wire interface. (Other Expand clicks are available for SPI and I2C interfaces.)
The distinguishing feature of this particular port expander is that you can take a bunch of them and connect them into a sort of daisy chain. Each DS2408 IC has a factory-lasered 64-bit registration number, and because of how the standard Dallas Semiconductor 1-Wire protocol works, you can connect multiple Expand 3 clicks to the same data line, with each one having a unique ID. There are three additional pins on right side of the board for that purpose (VCC, OW, GND).
The communication with your target board's MCU is done either through OW0 or OW1 pins (which are in place of the default mikroBUS AN and PWM pins). To specify the exact one, solder the on-board jumper in the appropriate position (in OW0 position by default). An additional reset line also is connected.
This board can use 3.3V or 5V power supply, determined by setting another solder jumper (in 3.3V position by default).
Note: The picture shows the board with through-hole headers. The board now comes populated with male pin headers already soldered for your convenience (mikroBUS connection pins only; the IDC10 pin header is included loose). The board's user manual has yet to be updated to remove the soldering instructions.
mikroBUS Click Boards Overview Click boards plug directly into a mikroBUS socket. mikroBUS is a specially designed plug-and-play pinout standard. The sockets are found on Clicker boards, the Flip & Click Arduino/Python-compatible board, the Quail board, these mikromedia shields, the Microchip Curiosity board, and development systems from mikroElektronika (V7 systems and later).
You also can connect Click boards to many other popular platforms via these adapters:
- PC — Click USB Adapter (MIKROE-1433)
- Arduino — Arduino UNO click shield (MIKROE-1581) or Arduino Mega click shield (MIKROE-1900)
- Raspberry Pi — Pi click shield (MIKROE-1512) or Pi 2 click shield (MIKROE-1879)
- BeagleBone Black — BeagleBone click shield (MIKROE-1596) or mikroBUS Cape (MIKROE-1857)
- STM32F3 Discovery — STM32F3 Discovery Shield (MIKROE-1447)
- STM32F4 Discovery — STM32F4 Discovery Shield (MIKROE-1481)
- Stellaris LM4F120 LaunchPad / Tiva TM4C123G LaunchPad — Click BOOSTER PACK (MIKROE-1363)
- Freescale Freedom — FRDM-KL46Z click shield (MIKROE-1795) or FRDM-K64F click shield (MIKROE-1794)
In addition, it is royalty-free to add mikroBUS to your own designs. Visit the mikroBUS Category to see the full line of Click boards.
Port Expander Module Resources