This is a bundle of the 4Discovery-35W, the 4D 485 Programmer, and a 4GB microSD card at a discounted price. You should purchase this Starter Kit as your first 4Discovery so that you have a means of programming and loading your icons and other custom data into the displays.
Touchscreen Display for RS485 Home Automation The 4Discovery is designed to be mounted to a standard light switch or similar flush wall mounting box for home automation purposes, or could be mounted into an enclosure or panel. It features a rear-facing RJ45 jack (i.e. going into your wall) for connection to your home or office RS485 network, and a CC3300 WiFi module so you can control and monitor wireless devices as well. It is driven by a DIABLO16 processor which enables standalone functionality.
The display module is a 3.5-inch TFT LCD with 320×480 resolution, a resistive touch screen, a microSD card slot, 16MB of Flash memory, a real-time clock, and a piezo buzzer. The 2-wire RS485 interface can act as Master or Slave with additional changeover wire. An on-board Crypto Authentication chip provides secure WiFi transmissions. The module is powered typically by 12V to 24V through the RS485 connection.
Use a microSD card to upload 16MB worth of graphics, images, videos, or data into the 4Discovery's on-board Flash memory. You also can store additional content on your microSD card if necessary. Use the RS485 programmer to program your 4Discovery board initially. (It's possible to program the 4Display to accept further 4DGL program code updates via microSD.) That programmer also can be used to update the DIABLO16 processor's "PmmC" firmware and the display drivers should new versions get released.
You can create 4DGL application code on your PC in the free 4D Workshop IDE's graphical user interface. 4DGL is a graphics-oriented language allowing you to write applications in high-level code with syntax similar to popular languages such as BASIC, C and Pascal. The 4DGL-Workshop4 IDE (editor, compiler and downloader) also features the ViSi-Genie, a drag-and-drop graphical interface that will create 4DGL code for you — all you need to do is place pre-made objects onto a simulated image of the display, size and set parameters to your liking, then a single click will generate the 4DGL code to make that object functional.
Using the Workshop IDE, the module also can be loaded with a Serial Application that transforms it into a Serial Slave to virtually any serial host.
4Discovery-35 Video Presentation
Wall-Mount LCD Touchscreen Module Features
- Powerful 3.5" intelligent LCD-TFT display module powered by the 4D-Labs DIABLO16 graphics processor
- 480 × 320 HVGA resolution, 65K colors, TFT screen with integrated 4-wire resistive touch panel
- Outer Bezel Dimensions: 74 × 117 mm
- Display Viewing Area: 48.96 × 73.44 mm
- Weighs about 75 grams
- Six banks of 32750-byte Flash memory for user application code and data
- 32Kb of SRAM purely for user
- On-board external 16MB serial Flash for multimedia storage, datalogging, etc.
- On-board microSD card slot for uploading program code and multimedia data (also as additional storage); SDHC supported (partition tool included in IDE)
- DOS-compatible file access (FAT16) as well as low-level access to microSD card memory
- Display full-color images, animations, icons and video clips
- Supports all available Windows fonts and characters (imported as external fonts)
- 5V or 6.3-36V input range — 12-24V recommended
- Easily mounted to wall using standard light switch flush/mounting box, or can be mounted in an enclosure or any flat drillable surface
- Compatible with Clipsal/HPM mounting blocks, 18mm of thicker, if the module needs to be offset from the wall (e.g. concrete-block walls etc.)
- RoHS and CE compliant
The CC3300 WiFi module is FCC certified per TI CC3000MOD specifications. It carries a "Modular" grant that complies with the "Intentional Radiator" portion (Part 15c) for FCC Certification, Part 15.247 Transmitter Tests. FCC ID: Z64-CC3000EM
Four different development methods The 4D Systems Workshop4 IDE supports multiple development environments, to cater for different user requirements and skill levels.
- The Designer environment enables you to write 4DGL code in its natural form to program the display module.
- The ViSi visual programming experience enables drag-and-drop placement of objects to assist with 4DGL code generation and allows you to visualize how the display will look.
- The ViSi-Genie advanced environment doesn't require any 4DGL coding at all; it is done automatically for you. Simply lay out the display with the objects you want (similar to ViSi), set the events to drive them and the code is written for you automatically.
- The Serial environment is provided to transform the display module into a slave serial display module, allowing you to control the display from any host microcontroller or device with a serial port. Serial libraries are available for C, Pascal, PicAxe, and Arduino.
RS485 Programmer The 4Discovery RS485 Programmer is an essential tool that allows you to upload code and to update firmware and display drivers on a 4Discovery module. The 4D 485 Programmer also supplies power to the 4Discovery so it can be programmed on the bench or in the field, as it must be disconnected from your RS485 network while being programmed with the RS485 Programmer.
To connect the 4D 485 Programmer to the 4Discovery, use a standard straight-through CAT5 Ethernet cable (not crossover). You can use CAT4, CAT5, CAT5e, CAT6 etc. type cables; all that is required are eight wires/conductors that are straight through. The speed rating of your Ethernet cable is not relevant for the purpose of the 4Discovery since it uses RS485 which operates at a much slower speed than Ethernet.
The maximum length of cable between the 4Discovery and the 4D 485 Programmer should be kept below 10m. This is due to TTL signals on the RJ45 connector which need to be controlled by the 4D 485 Programmer. Anything longer typically will cause voltage drops and capacitive loading which could cause programming to fail.
The connection to your PC requires a Mini-USB cable.
NOTE: The 4Discovery cannot be programmed when connected to your RS485 network. It needs to be 1:1 with the 4D 485 Programmer.
Wall-Mount LCD Touchscreen Module Resources
Optional Recommended Products for this Item