This starter kit includes the PICadillo-35T plus a microSD card (uSD-2GB; may be substituted by uSD-4GB if -2GB is not available) and an international power supply (Adaptor-5V1A).
The PICadillo-35T is a 3.5-inch 320×480-resolution (Half VGA) Embedded Display Module with Resistive Touch, featuring the Microchip PIC32MX795F512L 32-bit microcontroller and Arduino/chipKIT-style headers for easy attachment of shields. It is compatible with UECIDE, MPIDE and MPLAB X programming IDEs, making this a brilliant display solution with open-source software.
The PICadillo-35T was designed with complete system control in mind. It features a 3.5-inch display along with several GPIO, making it a perfect candidate for system control that demands a GUI or user interface.
The PIC32MX795F512L is a powerful 32-bit microcontroller from Microchip. It has 512KB of Flash and 128KB of SRAM, runs at 80MHz, and is capable of 105 DMIPS. It features a PMP graphics port which is used to connect the on-board 3.5-inch display, allowing for fast graphics fully controlled by your own code. This is the same PIC32 MCU as is found on the popular chipKIT Max32 Development Board.
The PICadillo-35T has been designed to be programmed using the UECIDE IDE, which is based on the Arduino IDE but with various enhancements and improvements. It also can be used with MPIDE or even Microchip's MPLAB X. Using UECIDE or MPIDE, the display module essentially can be treated as if it were a chipKIT MAX32 and programmed using the familiar programming language found on the Arduino/chipKIT.
UECIDE can be used to program Arduino boards as well as chipKIT boards, and is compatible with many existing Arduino and chipKIT libraries, allowing easy migration from existing boards.
The PICadillo-35T features an on-board FTDI USB-to-TTL converter for programming and powering the display, along with an ICSP connection for using programmers such as the PICKIT3. It also features an on-board microSD connector, on-board audio amplifier and speaker, RTC oscillator, and headers in the layout of the popular chipKIT Uno32.
Whether you already can program the Arduino or the chipKIT range of products, or whether you want to get started, this module may be right for you. It features the best of the microcontroller platforms, coupled with a 3.5-inch Display, Audio, microSD card and the familiar programming language.
PIC32 Embedded Display Module Features
- Powerful 3.5" embedded LCD-TFT display module powered by a Microchip PIC32MX795F512L microcontroller
- 320 × 480 HVGA resolution, 65K colors, TFT screen with integrated 4-wire resistive touch panel
- Module dimensions: 56.9 × 97.6 × 15.7 mm (including corner mounting plates)
- Active Display Area: 49.7 × 77.0 mm
- Weighs about 60 grams
- 512 KBytes of Flash memory for user application code and data
- 128 KBytes of SRAM
- 47 General-Purpose I/O pins for user interfaces, including 12 Analog Inputs
- Analog Inputs are 0V to 3.3V DC (clamp diodes make 5V inputs safe to use, however)
- chipKIT Uno32 style headers, compatible with Arduino style shields for easy connection of add-on modules
- Open-source software
- On-board FTDI USB-to-TTL converter for power/programming
- Breakout of the PIC32 on-board USB connections
- On-board microSD memory card connector for multimedia storage and data logging purposes (SPI-compatible microSD card required)
- Mono PWM audio selectable using one of the PWM channels, filterd and fed to on-board 1W amplifier driving an on-board speaker
- 5V supply; can be provided from on-board mini-USB port, 5V DC jack (PJ1-023-SMT for 2.35mm diameter plug with 0.7mm pin, 8mm depth), or the Arduino-style headers
- Dedicated raw PWM audio pin driven by WAV files from microSD card
- Female expansion headers for configurable GPIO (see Expansion Header section below)
- Four corner plates with 2.6mm holes for mounting
- RoHS and CE compliant
Expansion Header The GPIOs are configurable for various alternative functions, such as:
- Up to four I2C channels available
- Up to three SPI channels available, with additional channel dedicated to microSD
- Up to four TTL Serial comm ports available
- Up to four GPIO for PWM; also can be used for audio and backlight control
Development Environments The Majenko Technologies UECIDE fully supports the PICadillo-35T, and features a number of ready-to-use libraries. UECIDE is a more feature-rich re-write of the Arduino IDE, available for Windows, Mac and Linux. Support for PICadillo-35T also has been added to the chipKIT MPIDE as of version 20140821. Download PICadillo-35T libraries for UECIDE/MPIDE. Also see the PICadillo-35T UECIDE Wiki Page.
Being a PIC32-based device, the PICadillo-35T also is compatible with Microchip's MPLAB X. See the Application Notes link below for files and instructions.
PIC32 Embedded Display Module Resources
International 5V Power Supply This kit includes a regulated 5V power supply with 2.35mm diameter plug that fits onto the 0.7mm pin of the PICadillo's power jack. This is a unique size that none of our separate power supplies has. The switching supply comes with interchangeable plug types to support the four most common power mains connections: American (pictured above), European, British and Australian.
Optional Recommended Products for this Item