Waspmote Smart Water Sensor Board
The Smart Water Board can be used in a Waspmote system for remote monitoring of chemical parameters related to water quality in different scenarios. These include contamination surveillance in natural environments such as rivers and lakes, control of the appropriate conditions of water in pools or fish farms, and observation of industrial sewage from industries.
With this platform you can measure more than five parameters, including the most relevant for water control such as dissolved oxygen (DO), oxidation-reduction potential (ORP), pH, conductivity, and temperature.
This board plugs into a Waspmote main board. Only the PT-1000 Soil/Water Temperature Sensor is included! See a list of available sensors is in Optional Recommended Products list below. As well as one PT-1000 sensor, four adapter cables are included, as shown. These are used to connect certain other sensors that have a BNC interface.
Note: If you want to measure turbidity, you should begin with the Waspmote Turbidity Sensor Pack which includes a customized Waspmote Main Board and a turbidity sensor. You can still add this Waspmote Smart Water Sensor Board to that customized board. You just can not add a turbidity sensor to a standard Waspmote Main Board + Smart Water Sensor Board combination.
You can combine sensors together to make a single device for specialized applications. Up to six sensors can be connected. The board has dedicated connectors for Temperature, Conductivity and Dissolved Oxygen. The remaining two connectors support the ORP sensor and the pH sensor. A footprint for a Dissolved Ions sensor connector is not populated; Dissolved Ions sensing has been migrated to the Smart Water Ions Sensor Board.
The board measures 73.5 × 51 × 1.3 mm so it fits nicely on your Waspmote. The operating temperature range is -20 to +65 °C (but the range of individual sensors varies).
- Potable water monitoring — Common chemical parameters include pH, nitrates, phosphates and dissolved oxygen. Measuring O2 (or Dissolved Oxygen (DO)) is an important gauge of water quality. Changes in dissolved oxygen levels indicate the presence of micro-organisms from sewage, urban or agriculture runoff or discharge from factories. A right level of Oxidation-Reduction Potential (ORP) minimizes the presence of micro-organisms such as E. coli, Salmonella, and Listeria.
- Chemical leakage detection in rivers — Extreme pH or low Dissolved Oxygen (DO) values signal chemical spills due to sewage treatment plant or supply pipe problems.
- Swimming pool remote measurement — Measuring oxidation-reduction potential (ORP), pH and Cloride levels of water can determine if the water quality in swimming pools and spas is sufficient for recreational purposes.
- Pollution levels in the sea — Measuring levels of temperature, salinity, pH, oxygen and nitrates gives feedback for quality-sensing systems in seawater.
- Corrosion and limescale depost prevention — By controlling the hardness of the water, you can avoid corrosion and limescale deposits in dishwashers and water treatment devices like heaters. Water hardness depends on pH, temperature, conductivity, and Ca+/Mg2+ concentrations.
- Fish tank monitoring (aquaculture/aquaponics) — Measure the water conditions for aquatic animals such as snails, fish, crayfish or prawns in tanks. Important values are pH, Dissolved Oxygen (DO) and water temperature.
- Hydroponics — Plants that take the nutrients directly from the water need precise pH and Oxygen-in-water (DO) levels to get the maximum growth.
Waspmote Smart Water Sensor Board Resources
Optional Recommended Products for this Item