Waspmote RS-232 Serial / Modbus Module
This module allows you to create an interface between a Waspmote ecosystem and an RS232 system. The module can connect directly to Socket 0 on your Waspmote main board, or to the Waspmote Expansion Board on Socket 1.
You can use this module for either the RS232 serial communication standard or the Modbus protocol. It uses a low-power transceiver, and is guaranteed to run at data rates of 120kbps while maintaining RS232 output levels.
The module has a DB9 Male connector, and comes with a cable as shown.
Connections to Waspmote
Waspmote RS232 Module Features
- Nominal board power voltage: 3.3V
- Absolute minimum/maximum voltage: -0.3V to +6V
- Typical data rate: 115200 bps
- Temperature range: 0 to 70 °C
- Dimensions: 33 × 31.5 mm
Applications There are three main applications possible when using this RS232 module with Waspmote:
1. Connect any sensor to an existing RS232 device/network Waspmote can be configured to work as a node in the network, inserting sensor data into the RS232 bus already present. Waspmote can obtain information from more than 70 sensors which are currently integrated in the platform by using specific sensor boards (e.g. CO, CO2, temperature, humidity, acceleration, pH, IR, luminosity, etc.). This way, the sensor information can be read from any RS232 device connected to the bus.
2. Add wireless connectivity to RS232 devices Waspmote can be configured to read the information coming from the RS232 bus and send it wirelessly, using any of the wireless modules available in the platform, to a base station or even directly to a Cloud server. The available wireless technologies include WiFi, 3G, GPRS, 802.15.4, ZigBee, Bluetooth, Bluetooth Low Energy, RF 868MHz, and RF 900MHz.
3. Connect the Cloud to RS232 devices Waspmote can be configured to read the information coming from the RS232 bus and send it wirelessly to the Cloud using WiFi, 3G and GPRS radio interfaces.
Warnings and Incompatibilities
Please note the following compatibility issues with certain Waspmote sensor boards:
- Avoid using pin DIGITAL7 when working with the Expansion Board. This pin is used for putting the XBee into Sleep mode.
- Avoid using pin DIGITAL6 when working with the Expansion Board. This pin is used as power supply for the Expansion Board.
- Gases Board: Incompatible with SOCKET3B and NO2 sensor.
- Agriculture Board: Incompatible with Sensirion and the atmospheric pressure sensor.
- Smart Metering Board: Incompatible with SOCKET2, SOCKET3, SOCKET4 and SOCKET5.
- Smart Cities Board: Incompatible with microphone and the CLK of the interrupt shift register.
- Events Board: Incompatible with interrupt shift register.
Waspmote RS232 Module Resources