The InvenSense MPU-6050 combines a 3-axis gyroscope and a 3-axis accelerometer on the same silicon die together with an on-board Digital Motion Processor (DMP) capable of processing complex 9-axis MotionFusion algorithms. This combination does away with the cross-axis alignment problems that can creep up on discrete parts.
The MPU-6050 uses I2C to communicate with a microcontroller. The module can be plugged into any system that has a UEXT port.
UEXT Connector The UEXT connector provides a solderless way to connect this module to a system with a microcontroller. There are dozens of microcontroller systems and development boards that can connect to this module via UEXT using the supplied cable. Click on the architectures below for lists of compatible boards:
MPU-6050 Gyroscope/Accelerometer Features
- I2C Digital output of 6- or 9-axis MotionFusion data in rotation matrix, quaternion, Euler Angle, or raw data format (when an external magnetometer is connected)
- 3-axis angular rate sensor (gyro) with a sensitivity up to 131 LSBs/dps and a full-scale range of ±250, ±500, ±1000, and ±2000 dps
- 3-axis accelerometer with a programmable full scale range of ±2g, ±4g, ±8g and ±16g
- Digital Motion Processing (DMP) engine offloads complex MotionFusion, sensor timing synchronization and gesture detection
- Embedded algorithms for run-time bias and compass calibration — no user intervention required
- Digital-output temperature sensor
Note: InvenSense provides details of the MPU-6050's MotionFusion DMP functions only to large-scale developers. The I2Cdevlib site linked below attempts to reverse-engineer the device functions for the benefit of hobbyists, but is in no way complete.
3-Axis Gyroscope & Accelerometer UEXT Module Resources