The uCAM-II (microCAM-II) is a highly integrated serial camera module which can be attached to any host system that requires a video camera or a JPEG compressed still camera for embedded imaging applications.
The module uses a CMOS VGA color sensor along with a JPEG compression chip that provides a low-cost and low-power camera system. The module has an on-board serial interface (TTL) that is suitable for a direct connection to any host microcontroller UART. Connection to a PC system COM port is possible if made through an optional external TTL-to-RS232 converter.
The uCAM-II is capable of generating both RAW format and JPEG format image output.
User commands are sent using a simple serial protocol that can instruct the camera to send low-resolution (80×60 to 160×120) single-frame raw images for viewing, or high-resolution (160×128 to 640×480) JPEG images for storage or viewing.
The uCAM-II comes in a compact form factor with a built-in lens and a 5-wire connector that provides easy access to both power and serial data.
The module ships with a 56-degree lens. It can be replaced easily. In the Optional Recommended Products list below, you can find 76-degree and 116-degree lenses that you can install.
The lenses are secured with a locknut. Unscrew the locknut then you can swap lenses or adjust the focus of the installed lens.
TTL Serial Camera Module Features
- Small size, low cost and low power for embedded imaging applications
- 5V DC supply nominal
- On-board EEPROM provides a command-based interface to external host via TTL serial link
- UART: up to 3.68Mbps for transferring JPEG still pictures or raw images
- On-board VGA color sensor and RAW / JPEG codec for different resolutions
- Built-in downsampling, clamping and windowing circuits for VGA, QVGA or 160×120 image resolutions
- Built-in color conversion circuits for 16-bit CrYCbY, 8-bit gray, 16-bit RGB or standard JPEG images
- No external DRAM required
- Three lens sizes available
- Locknut for locking focus in place
- Weight: about 6g
- Dimensions: 32 × 32 × 21 mm (without lens, including header)
µCAM-II Pinout The pins on the uCAM-II module are arranged to be compatible with the 4D Programming Cable or µUSB-PA5 USB-to-Serial bridge converter, either of which you can use for connection to a PC. To connect to a microcontroller, note the pinout table below:
|Pin ||Name ||Description |
|1 ||VCC ||Main voltage supply +ve input. 4.5V to 9V DC range, nominal 5V. |
|2 ||TX ||Asynchronous serial transmit. Connect to host RX signal. 3.3V logic. |
|3 ||RX ||Asynchronous serial receive. Connect to host TX signal. 3.3V logic, but 5V tolerant. |
|4 ||GND ||Supply ground. |
|5 ||NC ||Not connected. |
µCAM-II UART The uCAM-II has a dedicated hardware UART that can communicate with a host via this serial port. This is the main interface used by the host to communicate with the module to send commands and receive back data. The primary features are:
The UART has low-voltage serial TTL levels for a direct interface to a microcontroller. If you want to connect to an RS232 host, you must use an external TTL-to-RS232 converter. Note that while the uCAM-II's baud rate can go up to 3686400 bps, not all adapters/cables/devices can go that fast. Please ensure your interface hardware and your host can handle the rate you want to use.
- Full-Duplex 8-bit data transmission and reception through the TX and RX pins
- Data format: 8 bits, No Parity, 1 Stop bit
- Auto-detect common baud rates from 9600 baud to 921600 baud
- Selectable baud rates up to 3686400 bps
uCAM-II Lens Options There are three lenses that can be used on the uCAM-II. Below is a comparison chart. The 56° lens is included. Use the option checkboxes at the bottom of this page to add the 76° and/or 116° lenses to your order.
TTL Serial Camera Module Resources The 4D Workshop4 IDE Tool software has a 4D uCAM-II Demo application you can use to test the camera when connected to a PC via the 4D Programming Cable or µUSB-PA5.
You also can use that software package to create code easily for using the uCAM-II with the various µLCD or µOLED intelligent display modules.
Download the uCAM-II Datasheet for more detailed specifications and usage instructions.
Optional Recommended Products for this Item