This XBee USB Adapter Board comes in a partially assembled kit form and provides a cost-effective interface between a PC or microcontroller and any XBee module (see below about usage with XBee Pro). The PC connection can be used to configure the XBee module through Digi's X-CTU software.
This adapter board can provide an easy interface to the XBee or XBee Pro modules by converting the 2mm pin spacing to breadboard-friendly 0.1-inch spacing. The adapter board also provides a way to connect pluggable wires or solder connections, and also provides mounting holes.
The picture shows the XBee sockets installed, but the board comes with them loose. You must solder the sockets yourself. A strip of header pins is included as well which you can solder to the breakout pads for access to the individual XBee pins.
XBee USB Adapter Board Features
- Provides an easy interface to configure XBee Modules using Digi's X-CTU software
- Converts XBee 2mm pin spacing to 0.1" pin spacing
- 4 status indicator LEDs for Power, RSSI, Associate and mode (sleep/ON)
- Provides easy pluggable-wire or solder connections
- Includes mounting holes
- mini-B USB connector
- Voltage requirements: 5.0V from USB or VDD pin, 3.3V generated on board
- Current requirements: Varies with XBee model
- Communication: Serial pass-through to XBee module/USB to Host PC
- Dimensions: 1.51 × 1.00 × 0.58 inches (38.3 × 25.6 × 14.8 mm) when headers are attached
- Operating temperature: -40 to +158 °F (-40 to +70 °C)
Note about using XBee Pro modules The FAN2500S33X regulator used on this adapter is rated at 100mA continuous, 300mA peak current. The regular XBee modules (802.15.4 and ZB) draw less than 55mA, but XBee Pro modules can draw over 200mA when in a continuous-transmit state. While this adapter board can supply enough current for the intermittent transmissions of XBee Pro modules typical to many common uses, applications requiring continuous, sustained transmissions from XBee Pro modules should not use this board. The XBee Explorer USB is a compatible alternative (it does not come with pin headers like this board does, so be sure to check the options if you need them).
Optional Recommended Products for this Item