The GPRS+GPS Quad-band Module Shield Kit for Raspberry Pi includes the SimCom SIM908 module which uses both GPRS and GPS technologies. This allows it to be used for real-time tracking applications.
The idea is simple: Read the GPS coordinates (longitude and latitude) and send them via HTTP to a web server. Then use a browser to load the PHP web page which uses Google Maps to show the location in real time.
This kit consists of two boards: The GPRS+GPS Quad-band Module Shield originally designed for Arduino, and the Raspberry Pi Connection Bridge.
The picture shows the shield on the bridge plugged into a Raspberry Pi for illustration only. The Raspberry Pi itself not included.
You can use the free arduPi library which allows you to use your Raspberry Pi with the same code used on an Arduino. To do so, the library implements conversion functions so that you can control all the I/O interfaces (I2C, SPI, UART, analog, digital) on the Raspberry Pi the same way as on an Arduino. See the Reference Guide for details.
Note that antennas are not included. The SIM908 module has two U.FL connectors — one for GPS and one for GPRS. Compatible antennas and adapter cables are listed in the options at the bottom of this page.
This shield can be thought of as the middle of three levels of functionality. If you need only GPRS communication, you can get the GPRS-Shield. If you want a complete 3G+GPS solution, you can get the 3G+GPS-Shield.
SIM908 Module Features
- Quad-band: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
- GPRS multi-slot class 10
- GPRS mobile station class B
- Compliant to GSM phase 2/2+
• Class 4 (2W @ 850/900 MHz)
• Class 1 (1W @ 1800/1900 MHz)
- Controlled via AT commands (GSM 07.07, 07.05 and SIMCom Enhanced AT Commands)
- SIM application toolkit
- GPRS supply voltage range: 3.2V to 4.8V
- GPS supply voltage range: 3.0V to 4.5V
- Low power consumption
- Operating temperature: -40 to +85 °C
- Dual analog audio interfaces
- RTC backup
- Serial interface and debug interface for GSM/GPRS
- Debug interface for GPS NMEA output
- Separate U.FL antenna connectors: one for GSM/GPRS and one for GPS
SMS via GSM / GPRS
- Point-to-point MO and MT
- SMS cell broadcast
- Text and PDU mode
- Tricodec: Half Rate (HR), Full Rate (FR), Enhanced Full Rate (EFR)
- Hands-free operation
- Echo cancellation
- GPRS class 8/10: max. 85.6 kbps (downlink)
- PBCCH support
- Coding schemes CS 1, 2, 3, 4
- CSD up to 14.4 kbps
- Non-transparent mode
- PPP stack
- Integrated TCP/IP stack
- 42-channel receiver; GPS L1 C/A code; High-performance STE engine
- Tracking sensitivity: -160 dBm
- Cold-start sensitivity: -143 dBm
- Cold-start time to first fix: 30s typically
- Hot-start time to first fix: 1s typically
- Accuracy (horizontal position): less than 2.5m CEP
- Power consumption, Aquisition: 77mA (GSM engine idle)
- Power conusmption, Tracking: 76mA (GSM engine idle)
GPRS+GPS Raspberry Pi Shield Resources
Optional Recommended Products for this Item