The VPN1513 GPS Receiver with Antenna provides a high-quality, highly sensitive GPS solution for microcontroller applications. The high-performance SiRF III chipset features 20 parallel satellite tracking channels for fast acquisition of NMEA0183 data. The compact board with 5-pin SIP header is ready to integrate into your robotics, navigation or telemetry projects. The pinout order is GND, VCC, RX, TX, RST.
Your microcontroller should have enough RAM to receive the raw GPS data, and enough processing capability to do any calculations you need to determine distance or speed. Example code is provided below for Propeller and Arduino.
The included antenna attaches to the module via an SMA connector. Its cable is over 9 feet long.
GPS Module Kit Features
GPS Receiver Module
- Outputs raw NMEA0183 data strings for your microcontroller application to parse
- Fast satellite acquisition during a cold startup
- 1 Hz navigation refresh rate for mobile applications
- On-board rechargeable battery for memory backup
- 5-pin SIP header with 0.1" spacing
- Extra pads are provided for optional permanent soldered connections
- 20 satellite tracking channels
- Tracking sensitivity -159 dBm
- On-board 3.3V regulator
- Voltage requirements: 3.3V to 5V DC
- Current requirements: 60 mA @ 5V
- Communication: 3.3V asynchronous serial @ 9600 bps, 8N1
- Accuracy: Position: 10 meters, 2D RMS 5 meters, 2D RMS, WAAS enabled; Velocity: 0.1 m/s; Time: 1µs synchronized to GPS time
- Dimensions: 27 × 55 × 6 mm
- Operating temperature: -22 to +185 °F (-30 to +85 °C)
Active GPS Antenna
- 3 meter (9.8 ft) cable with SMA connector for reliable use under extreme vibration conditions
- Frequency: 1575.42 + 2 MHz
- Axial Ratio: 3 dB
- Typical output impedance: 50Ω
- Polarization: RHCP
- Amplifier gain: 18 to 22 dB
- Typical output VSWR: 2.0 max.
- Noise figure: 2.0 dB max antenna input
GPS Module Kit Resources