The Wixel is a great general-purpose module from Pololu. By taking advantage of the feature-rich CC2511F32 microcontroller from Texas Instruments, the Wixel provides integrated 2.4 GHz wireless communication, 32KB of Flash memory (29KB available), 4KB of RAM, a full-speed USB interface and 15 general-purpose I/O lines (including 6 analog inputs). A single Wixel can be used as a computer-interface device such as a USB-to-serial adapter, and it can even serve as the main controller for your system. With two or more modules, you can take advantage of the Wixel's wireless capabilities to build wireless networks.
The Wixel features a built-in USB bootloader that can be used in conjunction with Pololu's free Wixel Configuration Utility software to upload custom programs or precompiled, open-source apps to the Wixel (no external programmer is required). A growing selection of free apps lets you turn the Wixel into whatever you need for your current project. No programming experience or compiler software is required to use these apps; simply download a different app to re-use the Wixel in your next project.
For example, the Wireless Serial App turns a pair of Wixels into a wireless USB/TTL serial link, useful for communication between a microcontroller and a PC, or two microcontrollers. That app uses a bit rate of 350 kbps and is capable of transmit/receive up to 10KB per secord at a range of up to 50 feet. You can use it to make a robot remote control, or to allow robots to talk to each other. Multiple serial links can be used simultaneously on different channels.
See the Wixel GitHub Page for the current selection of apps as well as the configuration tool.
The Wixel comes with breakaway headers that can be soldered to the board. It does not use the WiFi/Bluetooth/Zigbee protocols. It uses a proprietary ChipCon protocol compatible with the CC2500 transceiver, the CC2510Fx family, and the CC2511Fx family of chips from Texas Instruments.
Wixel Module Features
- Full-speed USB
- 2.4 GHz Radio with 256 available channels that can be configured dynamically
- Programmable through USB bootloader (no external programmer required)
- Pre-compiled, open-source apps available
- Wixel SDK for developing your own applications in C using open-source tools and libraries
- 0.1" pin spacing (compatible with standard breadboards and 0.1" perfboards)
- Three indicator LEDs
- 15 user I/O lines, featuring 6 analog inputs, 2 USARTs (for serial or SPI), and 7 timer channels (capable of PWM)
- 4KB of RAM and 29KB of application program memory (Flash)
- Texas Instruments CC2511F32 processor running at 24 MHz
- Operating voltage: 2.7V – 6.5V
- Operating current: up to approximately 30mA (can get down to ~100µA when in sleep mode)
- Reverse voltage protection
- Radio Frequency: 2400 – 2483.5 MHz
- Radio Range: approximately 50 feet (under typical conditions indoors)
- Radio Bit Rate: programmable, up to 350 kbps
- Radio Effective Data Rate: up to 10KB/s
- Size: 0.7" × 1.5"
- Weight without header pins installed: 3.2 g
- Weight with header pins installed: 4.5 g
Optional Recommended Products for this Item