At first glance, it might appear that the microMedic kit is an odd collection of hardware. However, the components in this kit can be combined to build some interesting projects. For example, the pressure sensor may be used with the handheld nebulizer or blood pressure cuff. The magnets may be used with the reed switch and Hall-effect sensor. The 4-digit seven-segment display may show heart rate from the Polar heart rate receiver. The ColorPal may read the pH test strips.
This version of the microMedic kit contains the Propeller Board of Education which features a Parallax Propeller P8X32A microcontroller.
Another version of this kit is available with an Arduino Shield instead of the Propeller CPU board. With that version, you will have to provide your own Arduino CPU board.
The original intention of this kit was to provide you with some initial application ideas that you might use to participate in the 2013 National microMedic Contest. This contest, a joint effort by Parallax, Carnegie Mellon University, and the U.S. Army Telemedicine & Advanced Technology Research Center (TATRC), is for designing of new open-source medical simulation and medical training applications.
Propeller microMedic Kit Contents
- Propeller Board of Education
- USB A to Mini B cable
- Universal Remote Control
- 4-Directional Tilt Sensor
- Polar T34 WearLink Heart Rate Transmitter
- Heart Rate Receiver
- ColorPAL Color Sensor
- Infrared Receiver
- Infrared LED Assembly
- 10-Segment LED Bar Graph
- 4-Digit 7-Segment LED Display
- Two Magnetic Reed Switches
- 10 Resistors, 10 kΩ, 5%, 1/4W
- 25 Resistors, 220 Ω, 5%, 1/4W
- Four Capacitors, 0.1µF mono radial
- Two 3-pin Male/Male Headers
- 3.3V Zener Diode
- LM358 Dual Op-Amp IC
- LM34 TO92 Temperature Sensor
- TSL235R-LF Light-to-Frequency Converter
- Piezo Film Sensor Vibra Tab
- Melexis 90217 Hall-Effect Sensor
- Two Magnets, Round, 3/8" Diameter × 1/8" Thick
- Pressure Sensor
- Handheld Nebulizer
- MTR Manual Blood Pressure Cuff
- SpO2 Finger Sensor
- Universal pH Test Paper
- Five Siemens Urinalysis Strips
- Pack of 10 Jumper Wires, Female/Male
- 3-pin Power-Signal-Ground Extension Cable, 12"
microMedic Kit Resources
Optional Recommended Products for this Item