The USB-ETHERNET-AX88772B is a USB-LAN dongle that is supported by OLinuXino boards.
Olimex tested four different dongles before declaring this one as the best performer on their OLinuXino boards.
The dongle, model KT-AX88772B, uses an Asix AX88772B Low-Power USB 2.0 to 10/100M Fast Ethernet Controller chip. Drivers are available for Windows, WinCE, Linux and Mac, so you aren't limited only to using this dongle on an OLinuXino board; use it on your PC, Mac, Linux box or any WinCE/Linux embedded system with a USB port.
The AX88772B features a USB interface to communicate with a USB Host Controller and is compliant with USB specification V1.1 and V2.0. The AX88772B implements 10/100Mbps Ethernet LAN function based on IEEE802.3 and IEEE802.3u standards with embedded SRAM for packet buffering. The AX88772B integrates an on-chip 10/100Mbps Ethernet PHY to simplify system design.
AX88772B USB-to-Ethernet Chip Specifications
USB Device Interface
- Integrates on-chip USB 2.0 transceiver and SIE compliant to USB Spec 1.1 and 2.0
- Supports USB Full and High Speed modes with Bus-Power or Self-Power capability
- Supports 4 or 6 programmable endpoints on USB interface
- Supports AutoDetach power saving — detach from USB host when Ethernet cable is unplugged
- High-performance packet transfer rate over USB bus using proprietary burst transfer mechanism
Fast Ethernet Controller
- Integrates 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet MAC/PHY
- IEEE 802.3 10Base-T/100Base-TX compatible
- IEEE 802.3 100BASE-FX compatible
- Supports twisted pair crossover detection and auto-correction (HP Auto-MDIX)
- Embedded SRAM for RX/TX packet buffering
- Supports IPv4 / IPv6 packet Checksum Offload Engine to reduce CPU loading, including IPv4 IP/TCP/UDP/ICMP/IGMP & IPv6 TCP/UDP/ICMPv6 checksum check & generation
- Supports full-duplex operation with IEEE 802.3x flow control and half-duplex operation with back-pressure flow control
- Supports 2 VLAN ID filtering, received VLAN Tag (4 bytes) can be stripped off or preserved
- PHY loop-back diagnostic capability
- Supports Suspend Mode and Remote Wakeup via Link-change, Magic packet, MS wakeup frame and external wakeup pin
- Supports Protocol Offloads (ARP & NS) for Windows 7 Networking Power Management
- Optional PHY power down during Suspend mode
Advanced Power Management Features
- Supports dynamic power management to reduce power dissipation during idle or light traffic period
- Supports very low power Wake-on-LAN (WOL) mode when the system enters suspend mode and waits for network event to awake it up
- Supports 256/512 bytes (93c56/93c66) of serial EEPROM (for storing USB Descriptors)
- Supports embedded ID SRAM (online programmable memory for USB Device Descriptors, etc.) to save external EEPROM
- Supports automatic loading of Ethernet ID, USB Descriptors and Adapter Configuration from EEPROM after power-on initialization
- Integrates on-chip voltage regulator and only requires a single 3.3V power supply
- Single 25MHz clock input from either crystal or oscillator source
- Integrates on-chip power-on reset circuit
- Small form factor with 64-pin LQFP RoHS compliant package
AX88772B Drivers are available for Windows, WinCE, Linux and Mac, so you aren't limited only to using this dongle on an OLinuXino board.