The Parallax HB-25 Motor Controller is a great solution for DC motor control. This module is dependable and compatible with any microcontroller that can generate a servo-compatible pulse. In the simplest sense, the HB-25 allows a DC Motor to be controlled much like a Continuous Rotation Servo. While the signals are compatible, the HB-25 does not require refreshing like a servo does; a single pulse can maintain the output.
The HB-25 motor controller combines the power of an H-bridge with the simplicity of a servo. The HB-25 is more than just a motor driver chip connected to some logic and high current on a PCB. A quality H-bridge involves an efficient thermal design, which is what the HB-25 has accomplished through a machined heat sink and fan to draw air over the H-bridge. Additionally, it uses a thermal bonding agent to transfer heat from the motor driver chip to the heat sink. The result is a high-current motor controller with great thermal characteristics that requires no additional hardware for cooling.
Up to two HB-25s can be controlled independently through the same I/O line, saving I/O pins on your CPU.
The HB-25 uses Mini ATC Standard fuses available from automotive supply sources. It comes with a 25A fuse. Always use the appropriate size fuse for the motor you are running. This can be determined by finding out the stall current of your motor. For example, your motor may draw only 5 to 10 amps during normal use but could draw 15 amps when stalled. In this case you would replace the 25A fuse with a 15A fuse.
HB-25 Motor Controller Features
- Motor Size: 0.5 HP max (no minimum)
- Motor Supply: 6V DC min, 16V DC max
- Load Current: 25A Continuous, 35A Surge (13.8V DC)
- Standby Current: 50 mA @ 6V DC; 80 mA @ 13.8V DC (fan on)
- PWM Frequency: 9.2 kHz
- Pulse Input: 1.0 ms Full Reverse, 1.5 ms Neutral (off), 2.0 ms Full Forward
- Pulse Refresh Rate: Single Pulse Operation
- Modes: Single/Dual Motor Control
- Protection Circuits: Over Voltage, Over Current, Over Heating (Note: no reverse-polarity protection)
- Fault Reset: Automatic
- Indicators: Power (green), Fault (red)
- Fuse: Mini ATC Standard with one 25A fuse included
- Cooling: Forced Air — Ball-Bearing Fan
- Terminals: Screw Post at a 35A Rating
- A single I/O port can control two HB-25 modules
- Connector allows daisy chaining up to two HB-25 modules
- Weight: 2.5 oz (71 grams)
- Mounting: Two 6-32 screws on .800" centers
- Dimensions: 1.6 × 1.6 × 1.9 inches (40 × 40 × 50 mm)
- Operating Temperature: 32 to +158 °F (0 to +70 °C)
HB-25 Motor Controller Resources