Netduino 2 is an open-source electronics platform using the .NET Micro Framework. Featuring a 32-bit STM32F205RF microcontroller and a rich development environment, it is suitable for engineers and hobbyists alike. With Netduino, the world of microcontroller programming is at your fingertips. Netduino is designed to enable both personal projects and sophisticated commercial endeavors.
This Netduino 2 board comes in the form factor of the popular 8-bit Arduino Uno R3 board.
Differences from original Netduino Netduino 2 has three times the speed (120MHz) and 150% of the code space (192KB) of the original Netduino. It also has new features like four serial ports, six PWM channels, and 12-bit ADC. It has power headers that turn on and off via code, so you can power on shields when you want to. Pins can drive up to 25mA of current to LEDs. The Arduino R3 compatibility supports future shields (in addition to existing shields, thanks to Netduino 2's 5V digital I/O tolerance).
With so much room in flash, the Netduino developers added OneWire support directly into the NETMF firmware, and added networking support for future use.
The 6-pin ICSP header has been replaced by a 10-pin MiniJTAG header. The goal is to enable developers to compile their own firmware using GCC — and debug both native and managed code at the same time. If you need the ICSP header for a shield, sandwich a shield in the middle that routes the ICSP pins for you (such as MakerShield).
Netduino 2 Features Input. Output. — Create interfaces with switches, sensors, LEDs, serial devices, and more. Netduino 2 combines 22 GPIOs with SPI, I2C, 4 UARTs (1 RTS/CTS), 6 PWM and 6 ADC channels.
Code. Debug. Repeat. — .NET Micro Framework combines the ease of high-level coding and the features of microcontrollers. Enjoy event-based programming, multi-threading, line-by-line debugging, breakpoints and more.
Very expandable. — Third-party accessories offer pre-built functionality like GPS location, servo control and battery power. Netduino 2 is also pin-compatible with Arduino shields. Drivers are required for some Arduino shields.
Design files included. — Netduino 2 is an open-source electronics platform. Design files and source code are included. Learn from the designs. Remix. Enjoy the freedom of open source.
Netduino 2 Hardware Specifications
- 32-bit STMicroelectronics STM32F205RF ARM Cortex-M3 microcontroller, 120 MHz, with 192KB for code storage and 60KB RAM
- All 22 digital and analog pins can be used as GPIO
- Digital pins 0-1: UART1 RX, TX
- Digital pins 2-3: UART2 RX, TX/PWM
- Digital pins 5-6: PWM, PWM
- Digital pins 7-8: UART3 RX, TX (also works as UART2 RTS, CTS)
- Digital pins 9-10: PWM, PWM
- Digital pins 11-13: SPI PWM/MOSI, MISO, SPCK
- Digital pin SD/SC: I2C SDA/SCL (also works as UART4 RX/TX)
- White power LED
- Blue user LED
- Reset button can be re-purposed as a GPIO input
- Power input: 7.5V to 9V DC via barrel jack, or power via USB
- Power output: 5V DC and 3.3V DC regulated
- Max current: 25 mA per pin
- Microcontroller max current: estimated 125 mA total
- Digital I/O are 3.3V, but are 5V tolerant
- Operating temperature: 0 to 70 °C (32 to 158 °F)
- Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8 (32 and 64 bit)
- 1.6 GHz or faster processor
- 1 GB RAM
- Up to 3 GB hard drive space for Visual Studio Express 2010
Mac OS and Linux
- Parallels — Both USB and Serial deployment supported. Requires copy of Windows in virtual machine.
- VMWare Fusion or Oracle VirtualBox — Serial deployment supported. Requires copy of Windows in virtual machine.
- Experimental Mono (native) support — Future native Mac OS and Linux support provided by experimental open-source project.
Development Environment Install these three in the order shown here.
Optional Recommended Products for this Item
|USB 2.0 Cable, 6ft. A-Male / Micro-USB (5-pin) B-Male||+|| US$6.00|
|Jumper Wires, Premium, M-M, 155mm (Qty 10), 2 ea. @ 5 colors||+|| US$3.95|
|Jumper Wires, M-F, 5" (Qty 10) and 40-pin Header||+|| US$6.00|
|Power Supply 3-12V DC, U.S. plug, 6 connection tips||+|| US$11.00|
|Power Supply 3-12V DC, US/UK/Euro/AU Plugs, 100-240VAC||+|| US$13.00|
|Arduino Stackable Female Header Kit, for R2 & earlier||+|| US$1.50|
|Arduino Stackable Female Header - 6 Pin||+|| US$0.50|
|Arduino Stackable Female Header - 8 Pin||+|| US$0.50|