The special "T" shape of the AVR-T32U4 allows it to plug into a typical solderless breadboard and supply VCC and GND to the breadboard bus. Then you simply can use M/M Jumper Wires to develop an Arduino Leonardo system without the need to solder anything.
The board incorporates UEXT and USB for attaching peripheral devices. The ATmega32U4 is pre-loaded with the Arduino bootloader, and has built-in USB communication, eliminating the need for a secondary processor. This allows the board to appear to a connected computer as a mouse and keyboard in addition to a virtual (CDC) serial / COM port. It also means that there are now separate Serial and Serial1 classes for the virtual serial driver and the hardware serial port, respectively. This has an effect on the capabilities and assignments of some pins, e.g. SPI and TWI.
The ATmega32U4 allows for serial (CDC) communication over USB and appears as a virtual com port to software on the computer. The chip also acts as a full-speed USB 2.0 device, using standard USB COM drivers. It requires no drivers to be installed for Linux or Mac (for Windows a .inf file is included with the Arduino IDE software).
ATmega32U4 Arduino Development Board Features
- ATmega32U4 microcontroller, all-in-one USB communication; no need for external FTDI chip
- Input power supply taken from mini-USB
- Feeds power to the breadboard bus
- Li-Ion rechargable battery power supply option with built-in on-board charger, so when you attach battery it is charged automatically and kept in this state until the other power source (USB or external adapter) is removed, then it automatically will power the board — no jumpers, no switches
- Works both on 3.3V and on 5V, selectable with jumper
- UEXT connector (see below)
- 2×3-pin ICSP header for reprogramming or updating the bootloader
Add-on UEXT Modules Available This board has a universal extension connector, UEXT, which allows you to add a peripheral module easily. The UEXT can provide I2C, RS232, SPI and power to the external device. Please see the UEXT Boards Category for a full list of modules that can plug into the UEXT port.
ATmega32U4 Arduino Development Board Resources
Optional Recommended Products for this Item