This bundle includes the PING))) ultrasonic sensor as well as a machined aluminum protector stand that provides an elegant-looking fixed-position result which will protect the sensor from most collisions. This setup is ideal if you need only a forward-facing distance sensor or if you'll be using multiple sensors at different angles.
Parallax's PING))) ultrasonic sensor provides a very low-cost and easy method of distance measurement. This sensor is perfect for any number of applications that require you to perform measurements between moving or stationary objects. Naturally, robotics applications are very popular, but you'll also find this product to be useful in security systems or as a replacement of an infrared system if so desired. You definitely will appreciate the activity status LED and the economic use of just one I/O pin.
The sensor measures distance using sonar; an ultrasonic pulse is transmitted from the unit and the distance to the target is determined by measuring the time required for the echo return. Output from the PING))) sensor is a variable-width pulse that corresponds to the distance to the target.
A single (shared) I/O pin is used to trigger the PING))) sensor and "listen" for the echo return pulse, making for a simple interface to a BASIC Stamp or Javelin Stamp microcontroller. The intelligent trigger hold-off allows the PING))) to work with even the original BS1. An on-board three-pin header allows the PING))) to be plugged into a solderless breadboard (on a Boe-Bot, for example), and to be connected to its host through a standard three-pin servo extension cable.
Ultrasonic Range Finder Features
The chirps emitted from the PING))) are at 40 kHz, well outside the range of human hearing, but well inside the range of dog and cat hearing.
- Provides precise, non-contact distance measurements within a 2 cm to 3 meter range
- Simple pulse in/pulse out communication
- Burst indicator LED shows measurement in progress
- 20 mA power consumption
- Narrow acceptance angle
- 3-pin header makes it easy to connect using a servo extension cable; no soldering required
- Power requirement: +5V DC
- Communication: Positive TTL pulse
- Dimensions: 0.81 × 1.8 × 0.6 inches (22 × 46 × 16 mm)
- Operating temperature: 32 to 158 °F (0 to 70 °C)
Protector Stand Features
- Designed to protect the PING))) Ultrasonic Distance Sensor from damage
- Hardware to connect sensor to stand is included (screws, washers, spacers)
- Can be mounted to your robotics platform by two 6-32 screws (not included)
- Custom CNC-machined from 6061 high-grade aluminum at Parallax headquarters in Rocklin, Calif.
- Aperture and plastic light pipe included to allow for visual check of sensor function while mounted to stand
- Two 6-32 (0.144 inch diameter) un-threaded mounting holes
- Dimensions: 1.95 × 2.20 × 0.25 inches (11.4 × 55.9 × 6.4 mm)
Assembled Kit Mounted on a Robot
Ultrasonic Range Finder Kit Resources