This bundle includes the PING))) ultrasonic sensor as well as a mounting bracket kit with a servo. Using the mounting kit with the PING))) will allow you to equip your robot with the ability to make a 180-degree sweep of its environment to determine its course.
Parallax's PING))) ultrasonic sensor provides a very low-cost and easy method of distance measurement. This sensor is perfect for any number of applications that require you to perform measurements between moving or stationary objects. Naturally, robotics applications are very popular, but you'll also find this product to be useful in security systems or as a replacement of an infrared system if so desired. You definitely will appreciate the activity status LED and the economic use of just one I/O pin.
The sensor measures distance using sonar; an ultrasonic pulse is transmitted from the unit and the distance to the target is determined by measuring the time required for the echo return. Output from the PING))) sensor is a variable-width pulse that corresponds to the distance to the target.
A single (shared) I/O pin is used to trigger the PING))) sensor and "listen" for the echo return pulse, making for a simple interface to a BASIC Stamp or Javelin Stamp microcontroller. The intelligent trigger hold-off allows the PING))) to work with even the original BS1. An on-board three-pin header allows the PING))) to be plugged into a solderless breadboard (on a Boe-Bot, for example), and to be connected to its host through a standard three-pin servo extension cable.
Ultrasonic Range Finder Features
The chirps emitted from the PING))) are at 40 kHz, well outside the range of human hearing, but well inside the range of dog and cat hearing.
- Provides precise, non-contact distance measurements within a 2 cm to 3 meter range
- Simple pulse in/pulse out communication
- Burst indicator LED shows measurement in progress
- 20 mA power consumption
- Narrow acceptance angle
- 3-pin header makes it easy to connect using a servo extension cable; no soldering required
- Power requirement: +5V DC
- Communication: Positive TTL pulse
- Dimensions: 0.81 × 1.8 × 0.6 inches (22 × 46 × 16 mm)
- Operating temperature: 32 to 158 °F (0 to 70 °C)
Mounting Bracket Kit Contents
- Parallax Standard Servo
- 10" Extension Cable
- Two nylon spacers (1/4" size 4)
- Two straight brackets
- PING))) mounting bracket
- Three nylon washers (size 4)
- Five 4/40 1/4" long pan-head Phillips screws
- Two 4/40 1/2" long pan-head Phillips screws
- Two 2/56 1/4" long pan-head Phillips screws
- Seven 4/40 nuts, zinc plated
- Two 2/56 nuts
- Rubber grommet
Ultrasonic Range Finder Kit Resources