The ELEV-8 V3 quadcopter is a flying robotic platform (drone) that is lifted and propelled by four fixed rotors. There are no fixed wings; all of the lift is created from the rotors. Unlike standard helicopters, a quadcopter uses fixed-pitch blades, whose rotor pitch does not vary as the blades rotate. Instead, control of the vehicle's motion is achieved by varying the relative speed of each rotor to change the thrust and torque produced by each.
This quadcopter has 3 lbs of payload capacity, and flight time of up to 20 minutes on a single 5300mAh battery (battery not included).
The entire system is designed in a clean, open plan that requires no soldering for assembly. It is rugged enough to survive most minor crashes. All parts are easily accessible so it can be repaired rather quickly and inexpensively.
At the heart of the quadcopter is the ELEV-8 Flight Controller, which is new for V3. The proprietary design means that the Flight Controller, the thoroughly-commented C-language firmware, airframe hardware, and Ground Station software are all tightly integrated. All the firmware and software code as well as the PCB and airframe design files are available for download.
The kit provides an inexpensive way to get involved in the quadcopter arena. The kit includes the frame, mounting hardware, motors, speed controllers, propellers and the control board for flight stabilization. The only thing you need to provide is the RC radio equipment and battery. An eight-channel RC radio is recommended.
The documentation guides you through every step of the assembly process. The ELEV-8 components are put together with standard and common connector types, making it easy to repair or modify.
The ELEV-8 platform is large enough for outdoor flight and has plenty of room for payload and attachments (up to 3 lbs). Because of its weight, it must be registered with the Federal Aviation Administration in the United States (see note below).
Note: This kit is not for beginners. It takes a moderate amount of mechanical skill to build and control skill to fly. The ELEV-8 quadcopter kit requires an average of eight hours to assemble. This platform is large and can cause serious damage or injury. There is no protection around any of the propellers. Therefore, previous RC flying experience is highly recommended. Because of recent FAA regulations, in the U.S. you must maintain a membership with the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA), and follow AMA and RCAPA guidelines as well as abide by any applicable Federal, State or local laws regarding unmanned multirotor aircraft. Before flying outdoors in the United States, you must register your ELEV-8 V3 with the FAA's UAS Registry.
Assembled ELEV-8 V3 Kit
ELEV-8 V3 Quadcopter Kit Features The picture to the right shows a V2 kit in flight.
- Full step-by-step online assembly guide
- ELEV-8 Flight Controller with 32-pit Propeller multicore microcontroller, 3D accelerometer/gyro/magnetometer, altimeter, XBee socket, and multiple expansion ports
- Durable yet machinable aluminum, composite, Delrin, and acrylic parts make upgrades and customization a breeze
- High-Performance isolation system for the flight controller reduces vibrations by up to 70%, significantly improving control response and impact protection
- Open underbody for camera mounting options or other accessories
- Open Source; design files available online
- Weighs 2.31 lbs fully assembled (without battery and receiver)
- Flight weight with 5300mAh battery and Spektrum AR610 receiver: 3.25 lbs
- Maximum takeoff weight: 6.2 lbs (2.8 kg), thus supports a payload of up to 3 lbs
- Motor axis diameter (excluding propellers): 22.2 inches
- Outer diameter (including propellers): 33.2 inches
- Total height: 8 inches
- Collapsed size (booms folded, propellers & landing gear removed): 24.3 × 5.8 × 4.1 inches
- Build time: 5-10 hours
- ELEV-8 Flight Controller
- Four 11×4.5R Nylon Glass-Fiber Multirotor Propellers (two for use; two spares)
- Four 11×4.5L Nylon Glass-Fiber Multirotor Propellers (two for use; two spares)
- Four KEDA 2217-1000kV Brushless Outrunner Motors (with propeller adapters and extra-long wires with pre-soldered 3.5mm bullet connectors)
- Four Parallax xRotor 20A Electronic Speed Controllers (ESC) (running customized BLHeli firmware, with pre-soldered 3.5mm bullet connectors)
- Parallax ELEV-8 Power Distribution Board (with sixteen 3.5mm bullet connectors, four 3-pin headers for accessories, and a power cable for batteries with EC3 connectors)
- Airframe kit with anodized aluminum booms and high-strength composite body plates
- Hardware kit with all the necessary screws, nuts, washers, and spacers
- Electronics kit with all the necessary wires and connectors
- Safety glasses
An RF transmitter and receiver, LiPo battery (3300mAh or 5300mAh), and battery charger are required for flight; these are not included. Also, you'll need a micro-USB cable to load flight controller firmware updates; this also is not included.
ELEV-8 Quadcopter Kit Resources
In the Optional Recommended Products list below, you can select a compatible battery. Also below is the TB6B Balance Charger which is compatible with that battery.
Optional Recommended Products for this Item