The PIC-KIT3 is a low-cost programmer/debugger of Microchip PIC microcontrollers and dsPIC Digital Signal Controllers. It also can program PIC32 processors with limited debugging support. It measures 55 × 55 mm (2.16 × 2.16") and is fully compatible with Microchip's MPLAB PICkit 3.
It ships with the removable programming cable as pictured. The pinout on the programmer is as shown below.
You can adapt this pinout to other common interfaces (RJ12 or Modtronix 2×4) by using our PIC-ICSP Adapter. If your target has a mini 5-pin or mini 6-pin single-row connector, use a PIC-Mini-ICD-5 or PIC-Mini-ICD-6 adapter in place of the cable included with the PIC-KIT3.
Microchip PICkit 3 Compatible Programmer Features
- USB (Full Speed 2Mbits/s) interface to host PC
- Real-time background debugging
- Uses MPLAB IDE GUI (latest release available for free download from Microchip's web site)
- Built-in over-voltage/short-circuit monitor
- Firmware upgradeable from PC
- Light plastic enclosure
- Supports low voltage to 2.0 volts. (2.0 to 6.0 range)
- Diagnostic bi-color LED (Busy, Error)
- USB power status green LED
- Reading/Writing memory space and EEDATA areas of target microcontroller
- Programs configuration bits
- Erase of program memory space with verification
- Peripheral freeze-on-halt stops timers at breakpoints
Warning for prototype designers Never connect your target PIC MCLR directly to VCC! During programming/debugging, MCLR goes as high as 13V DC. If your target MCLR is connected directly to target VCC, you will destroy the PIC-KIT3, your target, or both. Always use a 10K pull-up resistor between MCLR and VCC.
Optional Recommended Products for this Item