Wireless connectivity using the ZigBee protocol XBee ZB embedded RF modules provide cost-effective wireless connectivity to devices in ZigBee mesh networks. Utilizing the ZigBee PRO Feature Set, these modules are interoperable with other ZigBee devices, including devices from other vendors.
Part of the XBee family of wireless products, these modules are easy to use, share a common footprint, and are fully interoperable with other XBee products utilizing the same technology. This allows different XBee technologies to be drop-in replacements for each other; you can switch between 802.11, 802.15.4, ZigBee, DigiMesh and proprietary long-range with minimal development time or risk.
Series 2 modules use a different hardware configuration from the earlier models. They are not compatible with the outdated ZNet Series 2.5 modules. You can, however, change the firmware of existing ZNet Series 2.5 modules to the new ZB Series 2 firmware.
ZB Series 2 New Features ZB offers many new and improved features over ZNet 2.5, including:
- Data transmissions are resolved directly to APS unicasts. This provides the ability to send and receive ZDO commands.
- NH command configures the unicast transmission timeout. This command can extend the number of unicast hops dramatically beyond the 6-8 hop limit that existed in ZNet 2.5.
- ZS command allows ZigBee stack profile to be set as required.
- Routers and coordinators can expire end-device children from their child tables if the end device has not polled within a settable timeout.
- The ZA command is no longer needed. SE, DE and CI addressing commands are always enabled.
- AI now includes several new values.
ZB S2 ZigBee Module Features
- Power output: 1.25mW (+1 dBm); 2mw (+3 dBm) Boost Mode
- Indoor/Urban range: Up to 133 ft (40 m)
- Outdoor/RF line-of-sight range: Up to 400 feet (120 m)
- RF data rate: 250 Kbps
- Interface data rate: 1200 bps to 1 Mbps (non-standard baud rates supported)
- Receiver sensitivity: -95 dBm; -96 dBm Boost Mode
- Spread Spectrum type: DSSS (Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum)
- Networking topology: Mesh, point-to-point, point-to-multipoint, peer-to-peer
- Error handling: Retries and acknowledgments
- Channel capacity: 16 Direct Sequence Channels (11 through 26)
- Addressing: PAN ID, 64-bit IEEE MAC
- Encryption: 128-bit AES
- Supply voltage: 2.1V - 3.6V DC (Footprint Recommendation: 3.0V - 3.4V DC)
- Transmit current: 35 mA (@ 3.3V); 45 mA Boost Mode
- Receive current: 38 mA (@ 3.3V); 40 mA Boost Mode
- Idle current: 15 mA
- Sleep current: <1 µA @ 25°C
- Frequency band: ISM 2.4 GHz
- Interface options: 3V CMOS UART, ADC, DIO
- Configuration method: AT and API, local or over-air
- Digital I/O: 10 I/O lines
- ADC: Four 10-bit analog inputs
- Size: 0.960 in × 1.087 in (2.438 cm × 2.761 cm)
- Weight: 0.10 oz (3g)
- Operating temperature: -40°C to 85°C (industrial)
- Certifications: FCC (USA), IC (Canada), ETSI (Europe), C-TICK (Australia), Telec (Japan)
Antenna options Three other versions of this module are available: In addition, there is a long-range version available.
ZB S2 ZigBee Module Resources
Optional Recommended Products for this Item