The RS485 Board is a tool for developing devices that use RS485 communication. The on-board ADM485 differential line transceiver is suitable for high-speed bi-directional data communication on multipoint bus transmission lines. It is designed for balanced data transmission and complies with EIA standards RS-485 and RS-422. This transceiver features a differential line driver and differential line receiver. Both the driver and the receiver can be enabled independently.
The board has a female IDC10 connector to plug it into a development system. It communicates with the host system via UART. The DIP switch allows you to set which pins are used for RX/TX and R/T, and the user manual explains the settings required for specific mikroElektronika development systems. Jumper settings let you connect this board as a first, last or middle node.
Use in your own design While this board was created originally for mikroElektronika's development systems, it's certainly possible to use in your own project. To do so, you may want to pick up IDC10 box headers that you can solder onto your PCB, or an EasyTEST board and jumper wires to wire it up however you need to.
Note: The board is designed to use 5V power supply only. Be sure to use voltage translators on communication lines when connecting it to 3.3V systems.
RS485 Add-on Module Features
- Suitable for low-power RS485 systems, DTE/DCE interface packet switching, Local Area Networks (LANs), Data concentration, Data multiplexers, Integrated Services Digital Network (ISDN) and more
- Designed for balanced data transmission and complies with EIA standards RS-485 and RS-422
- –7V to +12V bus common-mode range
- High-speed, low-power BiCMOS
- Data rates up to 5 Mbps
- Thermal shutdown and short-circuit protection
- Driver propagation delay: 10 ns typical
- Receiver propagation delay: 15 ns typical
- Ready-to-use examples save development time
- Supported in all mikroElektronika compilers
RS485 Board User Manual
RS485 Board Software Examples for Port C of PIC16F877A, with source code for mikroC, mikroBASIC and mikroPascal