The EM500 is the first of the Tibbo MiniMo series of embedded Ethernet modules which are programmable in Tibbo BASIC and/or Tibbo C. Designed to be mounted vertically and fit behind a standard RJ45 connector jack, MiniMo devices reduce the required board space to only 18.5 × 6.5mm. That's 0.72 × 0.62".
The EM500 module features a 10/100-Base/T Ethernet interface, a serial port, and 8 digital I/O lines.
The width and height of the EM500 are very close to those of a standard jack. You can think of the EM500 as a 6.5mm-thick fully independent extension of the jack.
The EM500 is a miniature stand-alone BASIC-programmable embedded module designed to be used in combination with any standard LED/magnetics RJ45 jack (not included; see add-on option below). The combined footprint of the EM500 and a standard RJ45 jack is only 28.5 × 18.5mm.
The module's hardware mix, which includes 10/100-Base/T Ethernet, a serial port, and 8 I/O lines, has been carefully tailored to address the basic needs of lightweight network-enabled control devices.
Compact dimensions, space-saving "vertical slice" mechanical design, low power consumption, and innovative dual-function LED control lines make the module an excellent fit for miniature, cost-sensitive designs.
The EM500 also supports Wi-Fi communications (using the GA1000 add-on board) and Flash disk (requires an external SPI Flash IC).
The EM500 can be ordered standalone or in combination with an industry-standard RJ45 jack (use option checkbox below) and/or all discrete components required to complete the circuit; see the EM500EV (full RS232) and the EM500EV-G (WiFi, Flash drive, limited RS232).
Miniature Programmable Serial-to-Ethernet Module Features
- Based on a second-generation ASIC (T2000).
- 10/100BaseT auto-MDIX Ethernet port (no magnetics).
- One serial port (CMOS-level):
- Baud rates of up to 460800bps;
- None/even/odd/mark/space parity modes;
- 7/8 bits/character modes;
- Full-duplex mode with optional flow control;
- Half-duplex mode with direction control;
- Encoding and decoding of Wiegand and clock/data streams.
- 512KB flash memory for firmware and application.
- 200 bytes of EEPROM space for data storage.
- 8 general-purpose I/O lines (including 2 interrupt lines).
- Control lines for two external dual-function status LEDs.
- Additional control line for a dedicated Ethernet link LED.
- External reset source required.
- Power: 260mA @ 3.3V (100BaseT mode).
- "Vertical slice" construction; dimensions: 18.5 x 16.0 x 6.5mm.
- Firmware is upgradeable through the serial port or network (including "cold start" firmware uploads through the network).
- Optional Wi-Fi interface (requires GA1000 add-on module).
- Optional Flash disk (requires an external SPI flash IC).
Miniature Programmable Serial-to-Ethernet Module Programming
- Sock — socket comms (up to 16 UDP, TCP, and HTTP sessions).
- Net — controls Ethernet port.
- Ser — controls serial port (UART, Wiegand, and clock/data modes).
- Io — handles I/O lines, ports, and interrupts.
- Stor — provides access to the EEPROM.
- Romfile — facilitates access to resource files (fixed data).
- Pat — "plays" patterns on up to five LED pairs.
- Button — monitors MD line (setup button).
- Sys — in charge of general device functionality.
- Wln — handles Wi-Fi interface (requires GA1000 add-on module).
- Fd — manages flash memory file system and direct sector access (requires an external SPI flash IC).
Function Groups String functions (27 in total!), date/time conversion functions, and hash calculation functions (md5 and sha1).
Variable Types Byte, char, integer (word), short, dword, long, real, string, plus user-defined arrays and structures.
Miniature Programmable Serial-to-Ethernet Module Documentation Click on the purple book icon to the left of the EM500 line to open individual topics in each online manual.
View a video showing how to turn EM500 into a device server
Optional Recommended Products for this Item