10/100BaseT Ethernet Port Compact size — 52.6 × 38.0 mm Up to 3.5 serial channels Power input/output through RS232 port Free serial-over-IP application installed
The DS1206N is a programmable board designed primarily for serial-over-IP and serial control applications. It comes preloaded with a fully functional serial-over-IP application.
Like the DS1206 controller, the DS1206N has a multi-channel serial port. There is a single serial port connector (either pin header or DB9M depending on version; see below) capable of handling four independent serial channels. Have no use for those DSR and DTR lines? Turn them into RX and TX of an additional serial channel. Don't want CTS and RTS either? That's one more channel! In total, there are 15 different configurations or "port mappings" to choose from, starting from a standard single-channel configuration (RX, TX, CTS, RTS, DSR, and DTR) all the way to a 3.5-channel setup (RX, TX, RX2, TX2, RX3, TX3, and RX4).
There are three configurations of the DS1206N: The "RS" for RS232, the "TM" for TTL Master, and the "TS" for TTL Slave. You can select which version you require by using the drill-down option box at the bottom of this page. The image to the right shows the "RS" configuration.
Serial-over-IP Controller Features
Serial port specifications:
- Based on high-performance purpose-built 88MHz T1000 IC.
- 10/100BaseT, auto-MDIX Ethernet port.
- Up to 3.5 serial channels on a single connector.
- Up to 1024KB Flash memory for firmware, application, and data.
- 2KB EEPROM for data storage.
- Green and red status LEDs on top of the device.
- Link and speed Ethernet status LEDs on the RJ45 jack.
- Software-controlled onboard PLL.
- Power ("RS" and "TM" versions): 10-24V (12V nominal).
- Power ("TS" version only): Direct 3.3V input (must be regulated to +/- 5%).
- Dimensions: 52.6 × 38 mm.
- Firmware is upgradeable through the serial port or network.
- Baud rates of up to 921,600bps.
- None/even/odd/mark/space parity modes.
- 7/8 bits/character modes.
- Full duplex mode with optional flow control.
- "TM" and "TS" versions have half-duplex mode with direction control.
- Flexible mapping with 15 different options from single-channel to 3.5-channel.
- "RS" version has optional 12V power output on pin 9 of the DB9M connector.
- "TM" version has optional 12V power input from the serial port.
For details about the DS1206N hardware and all the available serial port map settings, see the DS1206N user manual.
For details about programming the DS1206N, see the TIDE, TiOS, Tibbo BASIC and Tibbo C Online Manual.
View Tibbo BASIC Introduction Videos.
View a video of the Serial-over-IP application showing WiFi support.
View a video of the Tibbo Connection Wizard showing how to create a Virtual Serial Port and link it with the Device Server.
Three configurations available The DS1206N-RS is like the DS1206 controller only without an enclosure. The board has a proper RS232 port (RS232 transceiver IC and DB9M connector), as well as the power regulator ("12V"-to-3.3V). There is also a power switch that controls "12V" power output on pin 9 of the DB9M connector.
The DS1206N-TM is different from the "RS" version in that it has a TTL serial port and no power switch. The port is accessible through a 12-pin connector on the PCB. The power regulator on the board can be used to supply 3.3V power to the attached serial device as well.
The DS1206N-TS is like the "TM" version but has no "12V"-to-3.3V power regulator. Instead, the attached serial device should provide stabilized 3.3V power to the board.
|Available Models |
(Option name below)
|RS232 transceiver & DB9M connector ||Yes ||No ||No |
|TTL interface connector ||No ||Yes ||Yes |
|Power switch ||Yes ||No ||No |
|Power jack and "12V"-to-3.3V regulator ||Yes ||Yes ||No |
If you want to get one of the DB9-to-Terminal adapters shown in the options below, the normal version (as opposed to inverted) is recommended as it will make the terminal connections face up and be more easily accessible.
Optional Recommended Products for this Item
|Power Supply, 12V DC, 0.5A, 3.5x1.35mm, center pos., 100-240V AC||+|| US$11.00|
|Ethernet Cable, CAT5E 350MHz Unshielded, 7ft.||+|| US$3.60|
|Ethernet Crossover Cable, CAT5E 350MHz Unshielded, 5ft.||+|| US$7.00|
|Serial Cable, 6ft., DB9 M/F||+|| US$6.00|
|Serial Null Modem Cable, 6ft., DB9 F/F||+|| US$7.00|
|DB9F to Screwless Terminal Adapter||+|| US$8.00|
|DB9F to Screwless Terminal Adapter, Inverted||+|| US$8.00|