This Parallax Propeller Development SchmartBoard is populated with everything except for the Parallax Propeller P8X32A-Q44 chip (required) and optional components: a crystal (if you don't want to use the internal clock of the P8X32A), an external EEPROM (for non-volatile code storage) and two resistors that would go with the EEPROM. The chip and those optional components are not included. A strip of pins is included for you to install on the through-hole header pads, or you may choose to install sockets (not included).
You can get this kit with the Propeller chip and all those optional components (including sockets as well as male headers) plus rubber feet, but with nothing already mounted — see part number 27150.
You can hand-solder your Propeller chip (and EEPROM if desired) using the patented Schmartboard|ez technology which makes soldering a surface-mount device easy. Your SMT part will sit in grooves that hold it in place and already have solder in them. So all you need to do is put the chip in the grooves, apply flux, and use a small enough soldering tip.
The Propeller chip makes it easy to develop embedded applications. Its eight processors (cogs) can operate simultaneously, either independently or cooperatively, sharing common resources through a central hub. The developer has full control over how and when each cog is employed; there is no compiler-driven or operating system-driven splitting of tasks among multiple cogs. A shared system clock keeps each cog on the same time reference, allowing for true deterministic timing and synchronization. Two programming languages are available: the easy-to-learn high-level Spin, and Propeller Assembly which can execute at up to 160 MIPS (20 MIPS per cog).
Propeller P8X32A Board Kit Features
- Space for installing Propeller P8X32A-Q44 microcontroller (not included)
- Space for installing 512KB EEPROM (not included)
- Space for installing 5MHz crystal and two 10kΩ resistors (not included)
- Header pins (not soldered) for easy access to the Propeller I/O pins
- SchmartBoard technology for easy surface-mount soldering of the chips
- 3.3V & 5.0V DC on-board regulators
- Barrel jack for 2.1 mm center-positive 6-9V DC power supply (not included)
- 4-pin programming header for the Prop Plug (not included)
- Power requirements: 6V to 9V DC
- Dimensions: 2 × 2 × 0.56 inches (50.6 × 50.6 × 14.45 mm)
- Operating temperature: 32 to 158 °F (0 to 70 °C)
Propeller P8X32A Board Kit Resources
Connect multiple SchmartBoards together! Every SchmartBoard has small notches along its sides which allow you to connect any number of them together in any combination. For example, you can attach this SchmartBoard to prototyping SchmartBoards that carry interfaces and other electronics. Purchase a set of the Mechanical Bridge Interconnects available in the options below if you want to be able to combine your SchmartBoards.
Optional Recommended Products for this Item