The LCD2S-204 is an RoHS-compliant Serial LCD Daughter board which can be connected to a standard 20x4-character display module that supports 4-bit mode. Nearly all commercially available 20x4-line character modules support 4-bit mode. The LCD2S-204 has a high-speed SPI/I2C serial bus. For convenience, the I2C and SPI signals are available via a 6-pin Micro-MaTch type connector, and a standard 2.54mm, 2x5-row pin header.
The following PIC microcontroller boards also feature a Micro-MaTch connector and thus could be connected to this board (if you also purchase or build a cable):
Matching male Micro-MaTch connectors are available to facilitate building a cable between these boards' female Micro-MaTch connectors for SPI and I2C interfaces. You can also purchase pre-made cables in 15 cm and 30 cm lengths.
- Any of the Netcruzer SBC66 line of PIC24FJ128 Single-Board Computers
- Microchip PIC Ethernet Board w/ RS232 & Web-Based Configuration (SBC65EC)
- Microchip PIC Ethernet Board w/ RS232 & Web-Based Config., CAN (SBC68EC)
- Microchip PIC Board, RS232 interface, 28-pin PICs (SBC28DC)
- Microchip PIC Board, RS232 & CAN interface, 28-pin PICs (SBC28PC-IR2)
- Microchip PIC Board, RS485 & CAN interface, 28-pin PICs (SBC28PC-IR4)
- Microchip PIC Board, RS232, RS485, CAN, RTC, 44-pin PICs (SBC44B)
- Microchip PIC18F4550 USB Board (SBC44UC)
- Microchip PIC16F876A Board with Bootloader, RS232 (BLC876A)
- PIC16F877A Board w/ Bootloader, RS232, RS485, CAN, RTC (BLC877A)
- PIC18F87J11 Board, iMOD ports for Ethernet, RS232 & RS485 Module (SBC83I)
A 2-way DIP switch is used to configure the unit for SPI or I2C operation (3 different addresses). The SPI mode is very simple, and enables you to control the display via a simple software routine. For more complex configurations, and multiple displays, the I2C bus can be used. The contrast and backlight are software controlled, and can be set to 254 levels each. A keypad with up to 16 buttons (4 rows by 4 columns, such as HC-KP) can be added to the display via a standard 10-pin, 2.54mm header. When using the I2C serial bus, an interrupt line will be activated when a key is pressed, informing the host that there are key data to be read. Alternatively, the LCD2S-204 can be polled to see if it has any pending keypad data.
The board has 5 user-configurable, general-purpose inputs/outputs. Two of them can deliver up to 1000mA each, and have protection circuitry for driving relays.
Serial Display Daughter Board Features
- Can be controlled via a high-speed SPI or I2C bus. Both buses can operate at speeds close to 1Mbits/sec.
- Large number of LCD commands for moving cursor, moving display and more.
- Can define up to 8 custom characters.
- Built-in commands for drawing Bar Graphs.
- Built-in commands for writing large characters spanning 2 columns and 3 rows.
- LCD Backlighting controlled via software; 254 brightness levels.
- LCD Contrast controlled via softwarel; 254 contrast levels.
- User-configurable startup screen.
- 80-Byte buffer for messages received via serial interface.
- Two high-current, open collector outputs with output currents up to 1000mA each, and relay protection circuitry.
- 3 general-purpose input/output pins.
- Keypad encoder for a keypad up to 16 keys (4 rows by 4 columns).
- 6-pin Micro-MaTch connector with I2C, SPI and power signals.
- Standard 10-pin (1x10), 2.54mm connector for connecting a keypad of up to 4 rows by 4 columns.
- Standard 10-pin (5x2), 2.54mm connector with user outputs, I2C, SPI and power signals.
- DIP switch for setting serial mode and I2C address.
- Low current consumption -- without LCD backlight is about 4mA.
- High-quality machine assembly, with brand-name, quality components:
- All electrolytic capacitors used are extra-long-life Panasonic brand, which is 5 times more than standard.
- PCB is gold plated for best contact and no corrosion.
- All pin headers are gold plated for best possible contact.
- Lead-free, RoHS-compliant assembly.
Download LCD2S I2C/SPI Daughter Board Datasheet (V1.40)