The 60 pin Universal Programmer is a high-end programming device with a unique module concept for heavy-duty use in production and development.
GALEP-5D-60 is uncompromisingly designed for speed. The programming algorithms run on an internal 200 MIPS ARM9 processor under Embedded Linux. The processor directly controls the pin drivers via up to 4 FPGAs, which ensure the perfect adaptation of the components to the programming algorithms. The FPGAs (user-programmable logic) allow the realization of State Machines, UARTs etc. and thus support time-critical components that wouldn't be programmable at all with pure software solutions. The programming cycle times are extremely short, close to the specified minimum times of the components. The internal 128 MB RAM serves as data storage and allows you to transfer the data only once for programming multiple devices.
60 Universal Pin Drivers
A universal pin driver circuit especially designed for GALEP guarantees optimal signal quality for the component to be programmed. Each of the 60 pins carries the following signals:
- Logical high, adjustable from 1.3V to 5.0V
- Logical input, threshold adjustable from 0.5V to 5.0V
- Three independent programming voltages up to 25V
- Three switchable resistors for pullup and pulldown
- Adjustable clock rate
The switching regulators for the programming voltages are controlled by D/A converters in 100 mV steps. Further D/A converters are used to control the logic levels (1.3V to 5.0V) and the input threshold (0.5V to 5.0V). All voltages are permanently monitored by an independent coprocessor.
A universal pin driver concept with as many pins as possible reduces the requirements of adapters and thus ensures an overall low cost programming system.
This feature is currently in development and will be available in the next months as a free update. It allows using GALEP-5D-60 in mass production without a PC. The programming data can be stored on SD card or on a local server connected via Ethernet. For programming multiple components, several GALEP-5D-60 devices can be controlled simultaneously (cluster or gang programming).
The signals for in-system programming (ISP) can be taken from a separately available ISP adapter or directly from the 60-pin ZIF socket. The help system provides information about the wiring of the target system for all supported components.
GALEP-5D-60 continues the established concept of the GALEP-32 software. The program runs under Windows 95, 98, ME, NT4, 2000, XP, and Vista. It features a comprehensive set of basic functions such as read, program, compare and delete, along with easy-to-use custom configuration options for any special functions required by the selected component. The editor allows a multitude of functions for editing component contents which can be saved and loaded in binary, Intel-hex, Motorola-s or Jedec file format. Mass production is supported by providing statistics functions and serial number generation.
JTAG Support: Delete, program and verify components with JTAG interface (IEEE Std. 1149.1). The following formats are supported: SVF-Script in XSVF(Xilinx) format; JAM byte code player (ALTERA).
Prior to each function, GALEP checks the power consumption, correct positioning, and the contacts of all pins of the selected component. This prevents accidental damage to the component or the device.
Modules and Adapters
GALEP-5D-60 comes with a DIL-48 module and programs all components in DIL sockets of up to 48 pins between 300 to 600 mil wide, without additional adapters. All GALEP-4 and GALEP-5 adapters can be used with the DIL-48 module of GALEP-5D-60.
A main advantage of GALEP-5D-60 is the unique module concept. The DIL Module can be replaced in seconds with a module for a different socket. Modules for all sockets up to 60 pins are available. This keeps the costs for the overall system low.
- Dimension: ca. 118 x 172 x 22 mm (+7 mm socket)
- Weight: ca. 750 g
- DIL Module with 48-pin ZIF socket
- Up to 60 Universal Pin Drivers
- Programs low-voltage components down to 1.3V
- Mini USB 2.0 high-speed port
- Ethernet 10/100 port
- SD memory card slot
- 200 MIPS ARM9 RISC processor, 128 MB RAM, 8 MB Flash
- Up to 4 FPGAs (50K gates, 64Kb RAM)
- 3 linear voltage regulators for internal power supply
- 4 switching regulators for programming voltages
- 2 linear voltage regulators for logic levels and input threshold
- 2 microcontrollers for internal voltage monitoring
- 8-channel D/A converter, 16-channel A/D converter
- Embedded Linux 2.6 inside
- Robust aluminum case
- GALEP-5D-60 device
- DIL-48 module
- Ethernet & Mini USB cables
- AC adapter
- CD with manual and software
- PC or Laptop with Pentium Processor
- Windows 95 / 98 / ME / NT4 / 2000 / XP / Vista
- USB 1.0 or USB 2.0 port, or Ethernet port