The LilyPad MP3 Player is an all-in-one audio solution, containing an Arduino-compatible microcontroller, MP3 audio decoder chip (actually supports many other formats too), a microSD card socket, and a stereo audio amplifier. Part of the LilyPad E-textiles line, this board can be used to give your fabric creations the gift of music, or any other sounds you can put on a microSD card.
It can be powered by a 3.7V LiPo battery (and there's a charger circuit built in), or an external 3.5-6V source. Off the shelf, it will play specific audio files when any of its five trigger inputs are grounded, or you can solder in an RGB rotary encoder (not included) and load new firmware (included in the link below) to add a user interface for track selection and volume control.
The board is compatible with sketches written for the MP3 Player Shield. The example code below uses Bill Porter's MP3 Player library, which makes writing new code very easy. All you need to do is add a microSD card and some speakers or headphones.
LilyPad MP3 Features
Note that although the Arduino runs at 3.3V, you must use a 5V FTDI board/cable for programming and for charging a connected LiPo battery. The 3.3V versions will not work.
- ATmega328P microprocessor with Arduino bootloader (select to Arduino Pro 3.3V/8MHz in the IDE)
- VS1053B decoder chip (Ogg Vorbis/MP3/AAC/WMA/MIDI)
- TPA2016D2 stereo amplifier
- MCP73831 3.7V LiPo charger (preset to 500mA; rate can be changed if desired)
- 3.5mm Headphones jack
- Five trigger inputs — also usable as analog, serial and I2C ("Wire") connections
- Load new firmware (or write your own) using the free Arduino IDE
- Pins for connecting DEV-10275 or DEV-09716 5V FTDI Basic boards (or TTL-232R-5V cable) for battery recharging and reprogramming
- Through-hole header for optional RGB rotary encoder (not included)
LilyPad Overview LilyPad is a wearable e-textile technology developed by Leah Buechley. Each LilyPad is designed to have large connecting pads to allow them to be sewn into clothing. Various input, output, power, and sensor boards are available. Most are even washable — just remember to remove any batteries first.
See our LilyPad category to find more LilyPad components and conductive thread you can use to sew a circuit into clothing.
LilyPad MP3 Board Resources
Optional Recommended Products for this Item
|microSDHC 4GB Flash Memory Card with Full-Size Adapter, Class 4||+|| US$6.50|
|Polymer Lithium Ion Battery, 850mAh, JST Connector||+|| US$9.95|
|Polymer Lithium Ion Battery, 2000mAh, JST Connector||+|| US$16.95|
|Polymer Lithium Ion Battery Pack, 6Ah, JST Connector||+|| US$29.95|
|2-pin Female JST Connector, 2mm pitch, with 5-inch Wires||+|| US$0.95|
|Barrel Jack to 2-pin JST Adapter, 2.1x5.5mm Jack, 2mm JST||+|| US$2.95|
|FT232RL USB-to-Serial Board for Arduino/LilyPad, 5V, Thin PCB||+|| US$14.95|
|FT232RL USB-to-Serial Board for Arduino/LilyPad, 5V||+|| US$14.95|
|USB-to-Serial Cable: 5V TTL, 6-pin SIP Connector||+|| US$16.50|