The V-Eval Kit is a hardware platform that designers can use to develop embedded USB host systems based on FTDI’s VNC1L microcontroller devices. Designs can be rapidly debugged using the "spy" mode of the supplied V-Eval software, which displays the data sent between the VNC1L UART and a controller UART, for example a PC.
Vinculum Prototype Board Features
- Built-in VNC1L USB device programmer / terminal emulator / command monitor hardware.
- Two VNC1L USB Host/Slave ports.
- Generous prototyping area for standard DIP and SIL devices.
- Multiple IO port connectors grouped by port name and/or function.
- LEDs and switches for user interaction.
- PS/2 keyboard and mouse ports.
- Downloadable programming, terminal emulation and debug monitor software.
- Downloadable HID class example project (VNC1L controlled USB rocket launcher) including PIC source code in C.
Vinculum USB Host Microcontroller
The VNC1L microcontroller used on this board is part of the FTDI Vinculum USB Host Microcontroller Series. The VNC1L chip features an integrated 8/32-bit MCU and 64k embedded Flash memory. Not only does the chip handle data transfer functions on two USB Host/Client interfaces; it encapsulates several USB device classes as well. You don't have to worry about writing firmware to implement those functions.
When interfacing to mass storage devices such as USB Flash drives, the VNC1L transparently handles the FAT file structure communicating via UART, SPI or parallel FIFO interfaces via a simple to implement command set. The VNC1L device features two USB ports which can be individually configured by firmware as Host or Slave (client) ports.
VNC1L brings cost-effective USB Host capability to products that previously did not have the hardware resources available. As VNC1L comes complete with FTDI's in-house developed firmware, there are no USB software stacks to license, and no knowledge of USB is required to use these devices.
Key VNC1L features include:
- 8/32 bit V-MCU Core
- Dual DMA controllers for hardware acceleration
- 64k Embedded Flash Program Memory
- 4k internal Data SRAM
- 2x USB 2.0 Slow/Full speed Host/Slave Ports
- UART, SPI and Parallel FIFO interfaces
- PS2 legacy Keyboard and Mouse Interfaces
- Up to 28 GPIO pins depending on configuration
- 3.3V operation with 5V safe inputs
- Low power operation (25mA running/2mA standby)
- FTDI firmware easily updated in the field
- LQFP-48 RoHS-compliant package
- Multi-processor configuration capable
Downloads V-Eval Datasheet
V-Eval HID Example Project
Optional Recommended Products for this Item