Expand Click is an accessory board in mikroBus form factor. It includes a Microchip MCP23S17 16-bit I/O expander with SPI clock speeds up to 10 MHz for higher throughput applications. Three HARDWARE ADDRESS SEL jumpers allow you to configure the board address and connect up to eight devices on the bus. The controller also supports an interrupt-on-change feature. This board is set to use 3.3V power supply by default. Solder the PWR SEL SMD jumper to 5V position for use with 5V systems.
Communication with the on-board port expander is done through SPI communication interface. The 16 I/O port bits are divided into two 8-bit ports (PORTA and PORTB). The MCP23S17 can be configured to operate in the 8-bit or 16-bit mode. All pins act as bidirectional I/Os and can be enabled for interrupt-on-change and/or internal weak pull-up resistor.
Note: The picture shows the board with through-hole headers. The board now comes populated with male pin headers already soldered for your convenience (mikroBUS connection only; two 2×5-pin male headers are provided loose). The board's user manual has yet to be updated to remove the soldering instructions.
If you want to use I2C instead of SPI, see the Expand 2 click which also uses the MCP23S17. If you want to use 1-Wire Interface, see Expand 3 click.
mikroBUS Click Boards Overview Click boards plug directly into a mikroBUS socket. mikroBUS is a specially designed plug-and-play pinout standard. The sockets are found on Clicker boards, the Flip & Click Arduino/Python-compatible board, the Quail board, these mikromedia shields, the Microchip Curiosity board, and development systems from mikroElektronika (V7 systems and later).
You also can connect Click boards to many other popular platforms via these adapters:
- PC — Click USB Adapter (MIKROE-1433)
- Arduino — Arduino UNO click shield (MIKROE-1581) or Arduino Mega click shield (MIKROE-1900)
- Raspberry Pi — Pi click shield (MIKROE-1512) or Pi 2 click shield (MIKROE-1879)
- BeagleBone Black — BeagleBone click shield (MIKROE-1596) or mikroBUS Cape (MIKROE-1857)
- STM32F3 Discovery — STM32F3 Discovery Shield (MIKROE-1447)
- STM32F4 Discovery — STM32F4 Discovery Shield (MIKROE-1481)
- Stellaris LM4F120 LaunchPad / Tiva TM4C123G LaunchPad — Click BOOSTER PACK (MIKROE-1363)
- Freescale Freedom — FRDM-KL46Z click shield (MIKROE-1795) or FRDM-K64F click shield (MIKROE-1794)
In addition, it is royalty-free to add mikroBUS to your own designs. Visit the mikroBUS Category to see the full line of Click boards.