The in485P-M is an electronic module with an RS485 interface and press-fit connectors. It is part of the Modtronix Presto iMod product range. It has a DIP switch for enabling bias and terminating resistors, which are required for an RS485 master module (end nodes). It enables 3.3V devices (e.g. a microcontroller) to communicate with nodes on an RS485 network. It uses a 1/8 load transceiver chip, enabling 256 nodes on a single bus. It uses the 3.3V Sipex SP3078E RS485/RS422 Transceiver chip, which has a 1/8 Load and Failsafe operation. For details on the SP3078, download its datasheet from the Exar web site. The module has press-fit connectors for easy integration onto a target board, with no soldering required. It can be mounted on a custom board, a prototype board (like a Vero Board) or the SBC83I PIC18F87J11 board.
The in485P-M has two rows of press-fit connectors on the bottom of the board. They can be pressed into 1.00mm holes on a 1.6mm thick (standard PCB thickness) target board. No special tool is required; they can be inserted by applying firm pressure to the connectors. Once fitted to the target board, the board is very secure, and can not be removed by hand any more. A screwdriver or similar tool can be used to remove the board if required. If the in485P-M is to be soldered onto the target board, 1.10mm holes can be used. This will allow it to be inserted much easier than with 1.00mm holes. When using 1.10mm holes, the board can be removed by hand.
RS485 Master iMOD Module Features
- DIP switch for enabling bias and terminating resistors
- ±15kV ESD protection for RS485 pins
- Advanced receiver-failsafe protection for open, shorted or terminated lines
- Up to 256 Transceivers may share bus (1/8 Unit Load)
- Very low load for 8x greater fan-out
- Hot Swap glitch protection RE and DE
- Thermal shutdown protects against driver contention
- Press-Fit connectors are gold plated for best possible contact
- High quality assembly, with brand name, quality components
- Module dimensions: 21.3 × 19.6 mm (0.84 × 0.77 inches)
- Operating Temperature -40 to +85 °C
The in485P-M module comes fully assembled and tested. It includes the 5-pin, 3.5mm terminal block plug as shown.
in485P module mounted on SBC83I board
Download in485P-M User Manual and Schematic