The µCAM (microCAM) is a highly integrated serial camera module which can be attached to any host system that requires a video camera or a JPEG compressed still camera for embedded imaging applications.
The module uses an OmniVision CMOS VGA color sensor along with a JPEG compression chip to create a low-cost and low-powered camera system. The module has an on-board Serial interface (RS232 levels) that is suitable for a direct connection to any host controller or a PC with a COM port.
User commands are sent using a simple serial protocol that can instruct the camera to send low-resolution (160×120 or 80×60) single-frame raw images for a quick viewing, or high-resolution (640×480 or 320×240) JPEG images for storage or viewing.
The µCAM comes in a compact form factor with a built-in lens and a 4-wire connector that provides easy access to both power and serial data.
Serial Camera Module Features
- Small size, low cost and low power; ideal embedded imaging applications
- 5.0V DC supply @ 64 mA
- On-board EEPROM provides a command-based interface to external host via RS-232 serial link
- UART: Up to 1.2 Mbps for transferring JPEG still pictures or raw images
- On-board OmniVision OV7640/8 VGA color sensor and JPEG CODEC for various resolutions
- Built-in down sampling, clamping and windowing circuits for VGA, QVGA, 160×120 or 80×60 image resolutions
- Built-in color conversion circuits for 2-bit gray, 4-bit gray, 8-bit gray, 12-bit RGB, 16-bit RGB or standard JPEG preview images
- No external DRAM required
|Item ||Parameter |
|Image Sensor||1/4” OmniVision CMOS, 300K pixels |
|Pixel Size||5.6µm × 5.6µm |
|Dynamic Range||60dB |
|White Balance||Automatic |
|Exposure||Automatic, self regulating, 1/50 (or 1/60) – 1/100,000 sec. |
|Lens viewing angle||120, 90 or 60 degrees (see options) |
Serial Camera Module Resources
|Lens viewing angle:||