Optical sensor: IR and red LED combined with photodetector Measures absorbance of pulsing blood Motion artifact resilience Ambient light cancellation I2C interface plus INT pin 3.3V power supply
Heart rate click carries Maxim's MAX30100 integrated pulse oximetry and heart-rate sensor. It's an optical sensor that derives its readings from emitting two wavelengths of light from two LEDs — red and infrared — then measuring the absorbance of pulsing blood through a photodetector. This particular LED color combination is optimized for reading the data through the tip of one's finger.
The signal is processed by a low-noise analog signal processing unit and communicated to the target MCU through the mikroBUS I2C interface. A programmable INT pin is also available.
Developers of end-user applications should note that the readings can be negatively affected by excess motion and changes in temperature. Also, too much pressure can constrict capillary blood flow and therefore diminish the reliability of the data.
This board is designed to use a 3.3V power supply only.
Note: The picture shows the board with through-hole headers. The board now comes populated with male pin headers already soldered for your convenience. The board's user manual has yet to be updated to remove the soldering instructions.
mikroBUS Click Boards Overview Click boards plug directly into a mikroBUS socket. mikroBUS is a specially designed plug-and-play pinout standard. The sockets are found on Clicker boards, the Flip & Click Arduino/Python-compatible board, the Quail board, these mikromedia shields, the Microchip Curiosity board, and development systems from mikroElektronika (V7 systems and later).
You also can connect Click boards to many other popular platforms via these adapters:
- PC — Click USB Adapter (MIKROE-1433)
- Arduino — Arduino UNO click shield (MIKROE-1581) or Arduino Mega click shield (MIKROE-1900)
- Raspberry Pi — Pi click shield (MIKROE-1512) or Pi 2 click shield (MIKROE-1879)
- BeagleBone Black — BeagleBone click shield (MIKROE-1596) or mikroBUS Cape (MIKROE-1857)
- STM32F3 Discovery — STM32F3 Discovery Shield (MIKROE-1447)
- STM32F4 Discovery — STM32F4 Discovery Shield (MIKROE-1481)
- Stellaris LM4F120 LaunchPad / Tiva TM4C123G LaunchPad — Click BOOSTER PACK (MIKROE-1363)
- Freescale Freedom — FRDM-KL46Z click shield (MIKROE-1795) or FRDM-K64F click shield (MIKROE-1794)
In addition, it is royalty-free to add mikroBUS to your own designs. Visit the mikroBUS Category to see the full line of Click boards.
Pulse Oximeter Module Resources