The Bluetooth Module PRO is able to be plugged into the XBee Shield or a Waspmote (see below) and is designed to discover a high amount of Bluetooth devices in a variable area.
Arduino Bluetooth Module PRO Features
- Bluetooth Chip: Bluegiga WT12
- Version: Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR, Class 2
- TX Power: Seven power levels from -27 dBm to +3 dBm
- RX Sensitivity: -90 dBm
- Antenna: 2 dBi
- Range: from 10 to 50 meters, depending on TX power and environmental conditions
- Received Signal Strength Indicator (RSSI) for each scanned device
- Class of Device (CoD) for each scanned device
The Bluetooth Module PRO integrates a firmware called iWRAP, which offers many possibilities. The iWRAP Bluetooth stack implements 13 different profiles and Apple iAP connectivity. Follow the link below to the Bluegiga web site for details.
Compatible with Waspmote A specific API has been developed to allow use of this module with a Waspmote sensor platform (this module plugs into the Waspmote Expansion Board). There are many useful functions which can be used as a guideline for other designs. This module is the same as Waspmote part number WBTS-SMA2.
Power Consumption The Bluetooth module's power usage depends on its operating state. Refer to the following table.
|State ||Usage |
|Sleep||< 0.5 mA |
|On (Idle)||2 mA |
|Inquiry @ min. power||33.5 mA |
|Inquiry @ max. power||36.5 mA |
- What do I need to connect the Bluetooth module to Arduino?
If you don't have the XBee Shield, purchase it separately. If you already have it, just connect the Bluetooth module to it.
- Can I create a connection between two Arduinos using Bluetooth?
Yes. You can plug two XBee Shields with two Bluetooth modules in two Arduinos and connect them as you do with XBee.
- If I have a third-party XBee shield, can I remove the XBee and connect the Bluetooth module?
Yes, just take out the XBee and plug in the Bluetooth module.
- Can I send data from sensors to my laptop with internal Bluetooth?
Yes. You can read sensor inputs in Arduino or Waspmote and send them using the Bluetooth module.
- How can I connect Arduino to my computer using Bluetooth?
If your laptop has a Bluetooth radio, you can pair the Arduino to the laptop. If your laptop does not have a Bluetooth radio, there are inexpensive USB Bluetooth dongles like the USB-BT4 on the market.
Image of Module Mounted on XBee Shield and Arduino Uno
Bluetooth Module Resources