MOD-MP3-X is an MP3 player module using the VLSI VS1053 Ogg Vorbis/MP3/AAC/-WMA/MIDI audio decoder and an IMA ADPCM and user-loadable Ogg Vorbis encoder. It supports VBR (variable bit rate) for MP3 and supports streaming.
This module has two modes of operation:
This version of the board does not have the microcontroller pictured. A third mode of operation is possible with the MOD-MP3-X and MOD-MP3-X-BAT variants of the board, which have the STM32 MCU shown in the picture. With those versions, the on-board MCU can accept user commands via UART such as directory listing, file selection and volume control.
- Standalone mode — In this mode, the VS1053 controls the playback of files written on a microSD card inserted in the board. You are provided with controls for volume, sound effects, starting, stopping and sequencing of files to play.
- UEXT playback mode — In this mode, the board can be connected as a slave device to a host microcontroller which streams data to the codec via SPI.
The board has both a barrel connector and screw terminals for connecting a power source.
VS1053 Decoder/Encoder Board Features
- VS1053 hardware audio decoder/encoder
- UEXT to connect to host microcontroller (see below)
- Can work as stand-alone MP3 player
- microSD card slot on board (card not included)
- Stereo audio microphone jack and stereo audio headphones jack
- Can be used to record as well as play back
- EEPROM with firmware for standalone mode
- Triple-action lever switch: Forward, Reverse, Play/Pause action
- Wake-up button
- Two status LEDs
- PCB: FR-4, 1.5 mm (0.062"), soldermask, silkscreen component print
- Dimensions: 60 × 60 mm (2.36 × 2.36")
UEXT Connector The UEXT connector provides a solderless way to connect this MP3 module to a system with a microcontroller. There are dozens of microcontroller systems and development boards that can connect to this module via UEXT using the supplied cable. Click on the architectures below for lists of compatible boards:
VS1053 Decoder/Encoder Board Resources