The REP430F replicator programs the Texas Instruments (TI) MSP430Fxx family of microcontrollers. It allows the programming of target devices via the JTAG Interface, SBW (Spy-Bi-Wire), and BSL (Boot Strap Loader) Interface. The replicator is built upon an MSP430F5437 MCU with 256 kB of Flash memory.
The REP430F operates in accordance with TI's MSP430 Memory Programming User's Guide Application Note SLAU265. The AN SLAU265 documents the JTAG communication protocol that allows erasing, programming and verification of the MSP430 MCU via JTAG or Spy-Bi-Wire communication protocols. MSP430Fxx microcontrollers can be programmed via the JTAG or Spy-Bi-Wire Interface as long as the Security Fuse is not blown. When the Security Fuse is blown, then the MSP430Fxx microcontrollers can still be accessed, but only via the BSL Interface. The complete C source code and project files are provided by Texas Instruments. See AN SLAU265 and the TI website for details. Software package can be directly downloaded from TI's website.
All MSP430 Flash-based devices are supported. There are specific software projects for the following target device Replicator implementations:
- Replicator: For MSP430 architecture devices (includes both 4-wire JTAG and Spy-Bi-Wire implementation)
- ReplicatorX: For MSP430X extended architecture devices only (includes both 4-wire JTAG and Spy-Bi-Wire implementation)
- ReplicatorXv2: For MSP430Xv2 (5xx, 6xx Family) extended architecture devices only (includes both 4-wire JTAG and Spy-Bi-Wire implementation)
MSP430 Replicator Features
- Contains an MSP430F5437 as a host MCU with 256 kB of Flash for saving firmware and code
- Maximum target device program code size: approximately 200kB
- Programming speed (Erase, Program, Verify): approximately 8 KB in 1.5s; 48 KB in 8s
- Verify and erase check: 17 KB, 10 ms
- JTAG access fuse (permanently disables device memory access via JTAG)
- Stand-alone target programming operation (no PC or additional supporting hardware/software required)
- Programmable Vcc from 2.1V to 3.6V with step 0.1V
- Power supply via external power supply (8V to 10V) or from target device (2.5V-3.6V)
- JTAG, SBW and BSL interface support with capability to blow the security fuse
- PCB size: 3" x 2" (76.2 mm x 51.2 mm)
Download Application Note SLAU265 and REP430F software package from TI.
Download REP430F User Manual (PDF file; 2.06 MB).